brick fireplace

Old 02-15-01, 06:51 AM
Visiting Guest
I posted a message about a week ago and got no replies. I'm still trying to decide what to do about a painted brick fireplace. It is painted white. Rather than strip the paint I would like to go over it with some kind of paint finish. Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-01, 09:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

You could use a painting technique using a sponge (natural). I would use the white paint as the background color. Pick a brick color you like in the Deco Art Patio Paint collection (found in craft stores). Tear a natural sponge in half. dip the sponge into the paint and sponge it on to your brick. You want to leave some of the white showing so it resembles a real brick. Look at a brick you like the color of and use that to determine what colors to use. I like the ones that have that white on them. You may need more than one color, apply the darkest color first, apply the next color, etc... you do not have to wait for it to dry, the colors will blend together better this way. Don't over do the colors, no more than 3. Now you want to add the grout. Pick a grout color in paint with a brush between the bricks. Your done.

Old 02-15-01, 11:38 AM
Visiting Guest
I think gini intended on leaving this post here.

I found it on an un-related subject, slip of the mouse

brick info
Found this in the Masonry section, thought you might be interested in the info.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 2000
If nothing less than full restoration (as in do no harm to the brick and mortar) is satisfactory, any number of things must be learnt.

As an overview read this Preservation breif: http://www2.cr.nps.gov/tps/briefs/brief38.htm

For more depth obtain: Masonry: How to Care for Old and Historic Brick and Stone, by Mark London, 1988, by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Available from: National Trust for Historic Preservation, 600 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006, Phone: 202-673-4200.

For restoration chemicals: Diedrich Technologies, Inc. Phone: 800-323-3565, Fax: 414-764-6993
Email diedtech@execpc.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: