painting staircase spindles

Old 02-15-01, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
I want to paint the stained spindles on my hall staircase, but am not sure what prep I need to do before painting. The staircase is currently stained medium oak, the house (and stairs) are 5 years old. I want to paint the spindles white. Should I strip the stain/finish or can I apply a sealer of some kind to the current finish? Any information would be appreciated!

Old 02-16-01, 05:58 AM
Visiting Guest
No need to strip, lightly sand the spindles with a 220 grit sandpaper (I use sanding pads), remove all dust, cover the stained wood below the spindles and prime with a quality oil based primer (such as Kilz), lightly sand again with 220 grit for smoothness, remove dust and paint with a quality paint of choice. I would use an oil based gloss white, but a good QUALITY latex trim paint can be used at this point.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-01, 02:38 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would`nt disagree with any thing that chipfo said but I would like to add a quick tip......
Spindles can be a real pain to paint and are time consuming..To make the job go a little faster you can use a small radiator roller to apply the two coats.
But its usually important to remember to "LAY OFF" the paint with a 1.1/2 brush as you go to avoid an orange peel finish. This technique can reduce redecoration of spindles and such like to as much as 50%....Hey ...Give it a try,what have you got to lose?

Old 02-17-01, 06:06 AM
Visiting Guest
vlkeeney1 sent me this email, I think toptosher can answer correctly since he/she wrote it, I believe it is what I call a pen roller, it is not the conventional 3" roller but is much thinner and can be found at most paint stores:

"hi,
thanks for the reply to my post. i have just one question, what is a radiator roller? i was planning to use a small (3" i think) roller. is there something better or more efficient to use?"

Good idea, I use them to paint pipes on industrial
jobs, safety yellow, safety orange etc. Hard to reach places etc. Just be sure and do like Toptosher stated and follow through with a good brush on the spindels.

Old 02-17-01, 09:20 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A "rad" roller head is approx 4" long and an inch wide.its handle is around 2 feet long. It was designed to paint behind radiators or wall heating units.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: