Exterior Door

Old 02-16-01, 08:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I'm not sure if my problem is a painting or a woodworking problem.

At any rate, the front of my exterior door has a lot of cracks running through the six panels. I don't think that the wood in the door would crack like that; I guess it must be the several coats of paint cracking for some reason.

Is there any quick, easy way to solve this problem, without having to resort to heat guns, paint past removers, etc.?

Thanks,

John M. Kelly:
Email:jmk_07628@yahoo.com

Old 02-16-01, 01:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are the cracks running through the edge of the panels?
If so this is due to the timber moving due to varying temperatures outside. You can solve this problem with some exterior grade mastic and a mastic gun. This material is flexible and so can adjust to movement. Rub down the door with medium grade sand paper.
Run the mastic around the cracks and smooth with lint free damp rag......When mastic is dry, apply two coats of exterior grade undercoat and when this is dry rub down again with a fine wet and dry paper,The stuff they use on car body work.
Finally apply one coat of gloss to finish...Hope this helps but if not post again with details......

[Edited by toptosher on 02-16-01 at 04:35]

Old 02-17-01, 06:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Toptosher, the mastic you speak of, are you refering to an exterior grade paintable caulking? If so, that is what I would recomend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: