Primer and paint for new house construction

Old 02-16-01, 04:40 PM
Sharons
Visiting Guest
Question

We would like to use a satin finish paint throughout our house. I was told satin or semi-gloss paints require a different primer on the sheetrock in order to get it to adhere properly. Is this true? If so, what type of primer? Also, since this is a whole house, we are planning on spraying. Is there any drawbacks to spraying satin or semi-gloss paints. Thanks

Old 02-16-01, 06:42 PM
Visiting Guest
I'd use Glidden Ultra Hyde Primer. Have it tented to
the color you want your walls. Spray and back-roll with a roller. Let first coat dry and pole sand walls with 100 grit sand paper. A smooth surface and quality sheetrock finish are desired. Spray and back-roll 2 coats satin paint. I use 1/2" Wooster roller covers to back-roll.
You can get by with 2 coats of satin paint. But the finish will not be as durable.

Old 02-16-01, 06:54 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've used same primer under all three

Who told you that you had to use different primers for satin vs semi-gloss?

The key is to use a quality primer. Good primers are any of the zinsser primers and kilz primers. Benjamin Moore and Pratt&Lambert also make very good primers.

Then get your paint from a paint store. Avoid paint from a home improvement center or a discount house. I suggest Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, Devoe, or Pratt & Lambert paints. There are some regional paints that are also very good.

Use top quality tools. Don't expect good results from a $100 sprayer. Better to buy a good roller sleeve and a good brush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: