Painting a small room

Old 02-16-01, 11:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a small dining room, and want to cozy it up a little. The wallpaper is poorly done, someone has tried to give it a 'textured' effect, and if this is how they intended it to turn out, they need their heads examined. In any case, since we moved in, I've envisioned it in a deep burgundy... but the room is no more than 10'x12', with large windows facing north and east (east faces the house next door, 5 feet away, so there's no much direct sunlight). The ceilings are at least 8'. Is painting a room like this in a deep colour going to make it *too* dark? I can't stand pastels, I need rich colours... Does anyone know of any half-decent programs that allow me to virtually paint it different colours to see how it would look? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheryl

Old 02-19-01, 06:53 AM
Visiting Guest
I have heard of such programs, but do not know where to find them. Darker colors are going to make a room appear smaller while lighter colors will open and brighten a room up. Maybe bringing this topic back up to the top will get Gini's attention and allow her to share insite, she seems more of the home interior decorator type, while I am just a lowley ole painter

Old 02-20-01, 11:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Thanks for the complement.

I am not an interior decorator but I did think about it. I come from a family of artist. As for a program I can't say where you would find one. I will keep it in mind while I am out and about. I too like rich colors. My house is hunter green, burgundy and cobolt blue. I have a dining room which is even smaller than yours. I thought for a long time that I would paint the walls burgundy. I have since changed my mind. Instead I am going to do a texture look using pink and white. I want it to look like the walls are plaster without really doing it. The pink I am using is very pale, more for the warmth it will bring the room and depth. It will be my base color. After it drys I plan to paint white on top of it in small segments and then rag it so the pink will peek through. This way I can pull together all my colors. I am recovering my dining room chairs in burgundy, using my richer colors in my furnishings. I told you this to get you to rethink what you want to do. I know how you feel, I wish my room was larger so I could paint it burgundy. Realistically its not a good choice. If you want burgundy you could do the same as I am except replace the pink with burgundy and then rag white on top. The burgundy will be very visable but softened by the white. One thing is for sure, you will get a good look at what all burgundy will do for your room. If you like it, leave it. If not soften it with the white. What do you have to loss? Remember, paint is cheap and can be painted over.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: