crackle finish on walls

Old 02-18-01, 10:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Just found this board today...love it!! I am wanting to repaint a bathroom in a taupe satin paint and do a subtle crackle on top with an off white color. I need it to be durable since it is in the master bathroom. The wallpaper currently in there is peeling at the seams and around tub and shower areas. I will strip the wallpaper off the drywall to paint. I'm hoping the crackle finish will hide wall imperfections that are probably going to result when I strip the wallpaper off the drywall. Can you tell me how to achieve a durable, subtle crackle finish? I'm putting a wallpaper border up at the top that has a crackle background.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-01, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can create the crackle finish with one of the polyvine products or with waterbased and oilbased paints(varnish)
after sealing your walls ,apply an oil based varnish and leave untill tacky or use a coloured oilbased paint if you require a contrast in the cracks....Then apply your waterbased paint on top. The water based drys the fastest and this is why cracks appear.This process can be sppeded up with the use of a hair dryer or heat gun.
The wetter the varnish..the larger the cracks!! When all is dry you can seal all with satin varnish,or glaze.
Polyvine have an all waterbased solution!http://www.polyvine.com/products/sp_effects.shtml

[Edited by toptosher on 02-18-01 at 04:57]