Paint vinyl siding?

Old 09-02-13, 06:00 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint vinyl siding?

Someone is asking about painting vinyl siding. I was under the impression that siding is a maintenance free surface & would require nothing more than cleaning. It's brown, if that makes a difference.

Old 09-02-13, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
Sure you can paint anything if you want to. The question is, why would they want to? Brown is a bad color. Vinyl- if painted- should only be in light colors. Otherwise it absorbs too much heat, buckles and warps. There is a reason they don't make vinyl siding in blacks, browns, dark greys.

Old 09-02-13, 06:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That was my question too. Why paint it? When I get an answer as to why, I'll post it. I never recommend sealing, staining or painting maintenance free surfaces.

Old 09-02-13, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
Are you saying the vinyl siding is brown? Or they want to paint it brown?

If it's brown maybe they have realized that brown siding gets too hot and they want to paint it a lighter color. Only thing I could think of.

The problem areas will be the field butt joints. You can paint vinyl siding, but as the siding expands and contracts it exposes unpainted areas, and as it slides, it also can rub off some of the paint in those areas where there is vinyl sliding on vinyl.

There is almost nothing that is truly maintenance free. It may be low maintenance. But even vinyl siding, if it isn't cared for- scrubbed and powerwashed every now and then- can look so bad that the only way to make it look better, aside from total replacement, is to paint it. But once you paint it, you will be painting it again, and again. Or at least touching up areas of paint.

There's a building in town that has some vinyl siding that I helped put on, back in '87 or so. It's Alcoa Biscayne Blue... a light cape cod kind of color. Wasn't powerwashed or kept clean. Its got hardwater scale on it from daily condensation and you can see where every stud in the building is... telegraphed onto the surface. No amount of cleaning will take the scale off... I've tried about everything, except for battery acid. So that would be an example of siding that maybe would benefit from a paint job. Mold will do the same thing. Once mold puts it's roots down into white vinyl siding, there is no getting that black stain out of the surface.

Old 09-02-13, 07:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I was told that the siding is brown. I haven't looked at it myself. I'm friends w/ the neighbor & I'm just going by what she told me. I already told her that I probably wouldn't take the job but I was going to research it. So far, it's 99% No.

Old 09-03-13, 05:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
The conventional wisdom in regards to painting vinyl is you never paint it darker than the factory color. Vinyls are heat rated, colored vinyl can be painted white but white shouldn't be painted a color. SWP does have a 'vinyl safe' paint that they claim allows you to successfully paint vinyl a darker color.

The main reason people paint vinyl is they don't like the color. If the proper prep is done and quality coating used - a vinyl siding paint job will last 10 yrs or more .... but as noted, it's no longer maintenance free

Old 09-03-13, 07:38 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Thanks for all the info. I doubt that I'm going to take the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: