Tip size question for my HVLP paint gun...First Post!

Old 09-12-13, 10:57 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tip size question for my HVLP paint gun...First Post!

Hello All! First Post!

I have a question about the tip size that I need for my Sharpe 975 HVLP spray gun. I am using a water based latex for redoing some end tables that I have. The problem that I am running into is getting my gun to spray correctly. I have thinned down my paint quite a bit with some water and that has helped but it still is not thin enough.
I dont want to thin it too much as it will eventually become too thin and not adhere to the surface of the wood very well. I know they make thinning agents that will not dilute the paint like water will but I would rather not have to buy those If I can just find the correct tip for the viscosity of the finish that I am trying to spray.
The tip I have now will spray stain and polyurethane just fine as they are very thin to begin with and no dilution is needed. This is how I have come to the conclusion that the tip size if simply too small for the paint I am trying to use. LEt me say this...all paint used will be water based.
So my question is....What tip size do I need when spraying an interior primer or latex (or anything fairly thick)?
I am not 100% sure on the tip size that I have now but I am guessing that is it 1mm or smaller. Where would be a good place to get a different tip size? What is the largest tip I can run on this gun?

Just for fun I will show you all what I have been working on.
Here is a before and after...the after is on the left...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17680[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]17681[/ATTACH]

Attached Images   
Old 09-12-13, 01:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have a couple of HVLP conversion guns I don't know a lot about the different tips available for them

Any type spray gun that uses an air compressor to power the gun is a poor choice for spraying latex coatings. Not only do you have to drastically thin the coating to get it to atomize properly, the air coming out of the tip tends to dry the coating on the tip To answer your question - a bigger tip will help. You can try your local paint store and see if they carry Sharpe/Graco equipment. Where did you buy the gun?

Do you have the owner's manual for the gun? it should give you the specs as to what size tips will work.

Old 09-13-13, 06:05 AM
T
I was given the gun and it is an older model so no user manual. But what I have done is gone to a local store and bought a different style gun. It's nothing special just a gravity feed HVLP. This gun has a 1.5 mm tip, I thinned the paint with water and got it to spray decent but not great. I am thinking that a 2.0mm+ tip would work well.
What paint would you recommend me using to redo this furniture? I was told to use this type of paint so the stain would adhere to it better.

My process has been, sand an already stained piece of furniture, clean, paint, sand again, stain over paint, wipe down, let dry.

Old 09-13-13, 09:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Guns that are powered by an air compressor always work best when solvent based coatings are used. Normally stains aren't applied over paint. A latex stain has a better chance adhering to flat latex or an oil base primer than it does over any type of enamel.

Old 09-13-13, 09:17 AM
T
I am unfamiliar with latex stains. I have only worked with a "traditional" stain. As for the stain over paint...I understand this is not the norm but it is required to get the look that I am going for. Would I get better results spraying an oil based paint? Is it thinner by nature or would it need to be thinned as well?

Old 09-13-13, 09:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd experiment with some oil base primer on some scrap wood to see if it will give the look you're after.

Solvent based coatings are 'ground' finer than latex coatings which means they will thin and atomize easier than latex will. Conventional spray guns [powered by air compressor] work best with solvent based coatings. An airless pump is better for latex coatings and can also spay oil base ..... but most are designed for larger jobs and have a greater psi.

Old 09-13-13, 11:12 AM
T
The airless guns operate at very high pressures correct? In the 1000's if I remember correctly. It seems to me that I am just going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Hink's or Sata....they have guns with tips up to 2.3mm. These guns would spray glue I am betting.

Old 09-13-13, 12:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, airless pumps are high pressure. I don't have much experience with them but a true HVLP system [runs off a turbine] is more versatile than the HVLP conversion guns. That might be the ticket for what you need - I just don't know much about them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: