Best outdoor paint for an old wood porch

Old 10-03-13, 05:57 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best outdoor paint for an old wood porch

I am in the process of repairing and scraping an old wood porch.
What is the best outdoor paint product i can use for old wood?
I will be scraping down to old bare wood in some places so i am assuming some sort of primer will be in order.

This old wood porch has been neglected so a good quality primer and paint which will help preserve is my objective. Are all brands equal or are some products better than others?

Thanks

Old 10-03-13, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 905 Votes on 831 Posts
Are you talking the floor of the porch? Or the porch in general?

Old 10-04-13, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Clarification would help

Usually an oil base floor paint will wear better than it's latex counterpart but a lot depends on the type of wood and the conditions the decking is exposed to. Oil base primers are usually better than latex primers. Latex is usually better on the rest for the finish coat.

You'll find the better coatings at your local paint store [advice too] For the most part, big box paint depts stock their coatings based on low price rather than quality.

Old 10-04-13, 10:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Solid body stain is usually my first thought rather than paint - the maintenance is a little easier, IMO.

Old 10-05-13, 07:38 AM
D
Some clarification

The porch sections in question area rails and columns not any decking or floor.
The porch will be getting full exposier to the elements
Its older wood, the house was built in the 1930's and painting has been neglected

Old 10-05-13, 08:02 AM
W
I have always considered preparation to be amongst the most important part of exterior painting. If you have lots of scraping to do, get a carbide blade scraper. They cost a bit more, but the time saved in having a nice sharp scraper make it worth it. Scrape, sand, dust, prime, caulk anywhere that needs it.

My personal favorite primer is Zinsser Bullseye 123. In my opinion it's one of the stickiest primers available. Mark mentioned oil primer, which is also a good idea. I only use it when I think it's absolutely necessary.

Do not use the 'paint and primer in one' paints for exterior. It just doesn't work well most of the time.

Do not apply products, whether primer or paint on surfaces that are being hit by direct sunlight. The surface will be warm and the product will dry from the inside and won't bond properly.

You're located in NY, which isn't far from where I'm at. I'd be concerned about running out of weather for this year in terms of rain and temperature including overnight temperatures which ensure proper curing for the paint. I've already shut down my exterior season for this year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: