Polish on exterior door??

Old 02-22-01, 09:47 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One of my customers has asked me to redecorate a house exterior... The front door looks good to me...Stained & varnished in the past. The thing is that the lady concerned has lovingly polished the door for years using a "furniture polish"!!!! For some reason ,she wants me to re stain and varnish the door,but I am having nightmares of the new finish just.....SLIPPING off unless i remove the polish corectly.
What would you do to remove the furniture polish{The stuff that comes in spray cans)????.
I don`t want to strip the door or anything that drastic but if you could suggest an appropriate solvent or something along those lines,I would appreciate it. Any ideas....
I sure hope so!!

Old 02-22-01, 08:02 PM
Trewax wood cleaner or VM&P Napthra. Both remove wax. Neither will harm the surface.

Old 02-23-01, 05:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Just out of curiosity, how are you going to re-stain and re-finish it without stripping the existing stain and finish off?

Old 02-23-01, 08:23 AM
T
Under all that polish the door has an exterior grade Stain/varnish all in one product....Still in excelent condition....Once the polish is off it will be rubbed down with fine grade and receive two coats of the same treatment it had before.
Standard practice here.

Old 02-23-01, 10:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Oh, yes of course. I have also re-applied clearcoats to doors in good condition, I misunderstood the post. I have also stripped doors completely to change the stain, thats what I was thinking you wanted to do.

Old 06-10-01, 11:36 PM
T
Trewax wood cleaner or VM&P Napthra. Both remove wax. Neither will harm the surface.
Ive been asking around for this stuff but no one here has heared of it. What is in the products that remove polish?
If I know that then maybe I can find an equivelent over on this side of the water. The job is fast approaching and I`ll need some if I want to get paid!!! Thanks guys.

Old 06-11-01, 11:50 PM
T
bump

Old 06-14-01, 05:32 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Toptosher,
VM&P Naptha, well, forget the VM&P part, I think maybe it's an american thing. Just ask for naptha. Mineral spirits would work as well, but you should follow up with a detergent wash and rinse. Some spirits leave an oily film. Don't know if you have any Savogran products (wherever you are) but they make a product called Dirtex that's a great cleaner and paint prep as well.

Good luck,
Sonnie

Old 06-14-01, 09:10 AM
T
Thanks a lot....I`ll ask around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: