What color to paint underside of opening connecting living & dining rooms?

Old 11-05-13, 08:21 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What color to paint underside of opening connecting living & dining rooms?

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what it's called but I have a double wide opening connecting my living & dining room.

What color is usually used to paint the inside of this opening? I'm guessing I can either pick my living room color or my dining room color, but can you also paint it white like if it was trim?

Thank you!

Old 11-06-13, 03:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean could you post a pic or two - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 11-06-13, 07:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
My parents have something like this in their house but the dining room is painted and the family room wallpapered so the archway is painted to match the dining room.

Old 11-06-13, 09:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If this is a drywalled opening [as opposed to jamb/casing] it can be painted with either wall color. I usually let whichever room the opening can be seen best from determine which color to use or if the 2 rooms have different floor coverings - let that be the deciding factor.

Old 11-06-13, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
We always painted it the same as the room where it is seen from the most. Last house had multiple openings between LR and DR. We spent more time in the LR so we painted the inside of the openings the same as LR. Otherwise we would have been looking at a light colored wall with multiple green and pink areas (don't ask about the color choice).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: