Brushed suede painting

Old 02-25-01, 07:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have purchased Brushed Suede Paint (Valspar Corp) and preceeded to paint as instructed. I painted a base coat and then using x's (large and small) tried to make a suede apprearance. It now looks like large and small x's.

Should the x's all be blended together or should spaces be left between as per the directions?
Does anyone know where I can obtain additional info (including pictures) to get the correct effect?

Old 02-25-01, 06:06 PM
Visiting Guest
I don't understand why they would have you make x's. That sounds more like a technique for a grass look. What color do you want the suede to be? I have a few techniques that might give you what you want. Let me know.

Old 02-26-01, 10:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

They're not really Xs your supposed to make. Painting up and down in diagonal strokes, both small and large, is more the technique. You need to be very delicate and don't have too much paint on your brush. I also found that overlapping the diagonal strokes makes them look very suede like.

Old 02-27-01, 05:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Gini and Rubyroo

Thanks for the information Rubyroo. I will try the overlapping diagonals and not leave as much base showing. Will try using less paint since directions said to fill the brush.

Gini - the color is blue. The base looks darker than when I do the x pattern even though it is the same paint.

I am using a 4 inch color wash brush for the large x's and the side of it for the small ones.

Old 12-24-01, 10:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink brushed suede

X's are the ticket! Just like the instructions say, load the paint brush and apply a second coat of paint in an x-fashion. Yes, unfortunately I did say a second coat of paint. The X's make a pattern that is not uniform, and the type of paint give the brushed suede appearance. It is very time consuming but really looks great when it's done.

Old 12-25-01, 05:17 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Abby, Good advice all around in this thread! Something about these suedes is each color depth reacts differently to the X's and how much they should or should not overlap. In genearal, most should overlap a great deal. I don't know if this makes any sense but the "pattern" must be randomly inconsistant. No, that doesn't make any sense.....If you are doing X's that don't lap a great deal into the previous X's you probably have a bunch of X's on a base coat. Work on a small wall and back off after its dry and take a look. If it looks like X's lap them over more. Keep a wet edge at all times and remember, each one of these is unique and that is the beauty.....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: