Painting over a painted mural

Old 02-25-01, 09:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to paint over a mural that covers an entire 12' wall. It looks like the design (castle, mountain, clouds & a manic sun!) was drawn on with pencil and then filled in with latex paint. I'm worried that the ridges from where the paint colours overlap are going to show. I've been trying to sand it with 100 grit paper & a palm sander but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Once I'm finished sanding, to a point where most of the ridges are gone, will a primer hide the colours enough to be painted over (ragging)? The mural is done in bright pastels - green, blue, purple, yellow, pink and orange. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!

Old 02-26-01, 05:08 AM
Visiting Guest
If it is latex paint that is to be covered, then a couple coats of quality latex paint should cover it. If you want to be sure however, you can kilz it, or use there waterbased kilz total one or zinsser's bullseye 1-2-3.

Old 02-26-01, 08:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

What is "kilz it" or "zinsser's" and where can it be purchased?

Old 02-27-01, 04:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Kilz and Zinsser Bin are quality primers, they both come in oil based or water based, they can be found at paint and hardware stores. If you are sure that the existing mural is just latex paint, then you probably just need a couple coats of quality latex wall paint, I would recomend Sherwin Williams Pro-mar 200.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: