Using light color paint over dark walls

Old 11-25-13, 01:49 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using light color paint over dark walls

Just moved into a home that has dark colored walls - reds, dark greys, etc. and am looking to paint over them with white or at least very light colors) to brighten up a dark and dingy looking house.

I've read many threads that advise using primer first followed by a good quality paint like Benjamin Moore (heard horrible things about the Behr one-coat product).

I am considering using a primer like Kilz (white) followed by a coat of paint (white or something close to white). Will this process hide the dark colors sufficiently? The original paint appears to be fairly new, well applied and smooth, requiring no major prep work(?) apart from some of the screw holes I filled and scraped smooth.

Any advice anyone can offer would be most welcome.

Old 11-25-13, 02:23 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Kilz oil based primer would be fine but I wouldn't use their latex product. Might take a second coat of paint to cover completely.

Old 11-25-13, 02:50 PM
P
But would an oil based primer be compatible with the water-based latex paint that would have to go over it?

Also, should one use some other primer made by BenMoore instead of Kilz?

Old 11-25-13, 03:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Latex Kilz is reported to have adhesion issues and since it has poor stain hiding properties - I don't use it. You can apply most any oil base primer over latex and then top coat with latex but unless there are stains that need to be sealed - I wouldn't bother with a solvent based primer.

Assuming you use a decent quality latex finish paint, I don't think using a primer will cut down the number of coats it takes to cover but you might save money by using a latex primer for the first coat. Zinnser's 1-2-3 primer would be a good choice but BM and other paint stores should have a good latex primer suitable for your job. Most paint stores have better coatings and better trained help than you typically find at a big box. They do sell some cheap coatings too [similar to big box] so be sure to get their mid line or better. Using decent paint [primer or not] I'd expect good coverage with 2-3 coats.

Old 11-25-13, 05:53 PM
P
Thanks for all the great info Mark...
No stains at all to hide here - just a dark colored wall (red and grey) which now has to be painted white.

So from what you've suggested, I gather I should go for a good quality water-soluble latex primer like Zinnser or BM, followed by 1-2 coats of latex paint from BM?

Old 11-26-13, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Sounds like a plan
If you use the paint store primer - they can tint it close to your finish coat color which may help you with coverage.

Old 11-26-13, 01:18 PM
P
The finish coat is to be just white - I was only concerned about the white being able to cover the old dark colors on the wall.
Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: