What is the best roller nap for plaster walls?

Old 12-25-13, 10:29 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the best roller nap for plaster walls?

Hello,

I have a 1947 Cape Cod with plaster walls. I have primed the walls already, and I just used a generic, general purpose roller cover. The walls are fairly smooth, but there are a few uneven spots here and there. I found at times I was really having to press hard and "work" the primer in with the roller.

When I go to apply the topcoat, what is the best roller cover nap to use on plaster walls?

Also, when I was using the roller with the primer, when I would apply firm pressure (as I needed to, stated above), the roller cover kept coming off the roller "frame" at one end (the end opposite the frame that connects the roller mechanism to the handle). When doing this, it would also leave a thicker build-up of paint at that spot (where it was coming loose). Is there a certain kind of roller that will prevent the roller cover from sneaking off when pressure is applied?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-26-13, 04:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
What size nap to use is dependent on the walls texture but generally 1/2" nap is what you want for most walls.

Cheap roller frames/covers are bad to have issues with the cover walking off of the frame but sometimes I've had quality covers walk off of a good frame. I assume it's an issue with manufacturing tolerances. A different roller frame and/or cover usually fixes it.

You shouldn't need to press hard when rolling. Re load the roller and let it do the work. Keeping the cover well lubricated with paint makes rolling easier and usually results in better coverage.

Wooster and Purdy consistently make some of the better roller frames and covers although I have run across no name frames that worked real well. I'm an old school painter and prefer using lambswool covers. IMO they apply and release the paint better than synthetic covers do. They are more expensive and will wear out prematurely if abused. Many like and get good results with synthetic covers. The main thing is buy a quality cover!!! Cheap covers are bad to shed and don't always apply the paint evenly. Your also more apt to get a bad cover that either walks off the frame or unravels.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: