Question about painting a bathtub

Old 12-26-13, 04:55 PM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question about painting a bathtub

I have a metal tub and I am thinking about painting it. I will be living in the house for about 2 more years then selling. I have read that the rustoleum appliance paint is good to use if I lightly sand the surface first. I was thinking that priming it might even be a plus.

Has anyone used this? Any other ideas? thanks.

Old 12-27-13, 03:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
DIY tub painting has a poor track record with improper prep being the biggest factor. You must get the tub as clean as possible! They sell a coating made specifically for painting tubs, I'd think you'd have better luck using it rather than something formulated for a different application.

Old 12-27-13, 07:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you try I would go with a product specifically for refinishing tubs. I've used products from Hawk Research with good results. It's not a factory porcelain finish but it's about as good as you can get short of hiring a professional re-finisher. The preparation process is more involved than simple light sanding and don't even think of cutting corners with the preparation. Plan on spending 90% of your time preparing the tub and 10% actually painting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: