PAINTING A WOODEN PORCH

Old 02-27-01, 03:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I am going to paint my wooden porch, the paint is peeling every where. I am just going to paint the railings and poles, I plan to put outdoor carpet on the stairs and the 'floor' of the porch. This is a mobile home. After I sand what kind of paint should I use? How many coats? There are two decorative poles that are metal, can I use the same paint?

Thank you.

Old 02-27-01, 08:10 PM
Visiting Guest
First you will need to scrape all loose paint off, and all loose rust. Clean all surfaces to be painted, I would suggest Dirtex, allow to dry, sand smooth with a 180 grit sandpaper(for tougher sanding use 120 grit) and wipe away dust. Prime the wood with an exterior oil based wood primer, prime the metal with an Exterior Rust Inhibitive primer available in spray cans at Sherwin Williams(so is the Dirtex), after the primer dries sand lightly again just to smooth, wipe away dust and paint with a quality exterior latex house paint. You can paint the poles with the same paint but if they are in a high traffic area I would suggest an exterior oil based paint for durability.

Note, if the poles are painted and in good condition, then repriming is probably not nesasary, just light sanding for adhesion.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-01, 10:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink Wooden Porch

Thank you for your reply Chip! That was most helpful!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: