painting drop/acustical ceiling

Old 12-30-13, 06:40 AM
painting drop/acustical ceiling

I am fixing up my 20x30 basement room into my man cave. It has a 7ft. drop ceiling. It is nicked up a bit but in good shape. Being so low, when you walk in the room all you see is ceiling, kinda "in your face" all ceiling. My plan is to paint it and tone it down a bit i guess im just asking for advise. My plan is to wipe down the white grids and maybe scuff with sandpaper. Then spray the whole thing with an off white tinted primer (water based Kilz). Does this sound like a good plan. Will the tinted primer serve ok as a one coat fix or will i need to top coat it with another coat of paint? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-13, 07:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd skip the primer and just use tinted flat sheen paint.

Old 12-30-13, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Are there any stains on the ceiling panels? I'm not fond of latex Kilz, it doesn't do a good job of sealing stains and is reported to have adhesion issues. I'd also be inclined to just apply 1 coat of flat latex paint [providing there aren't any stain issues.

The best way to paint ceiling panels is to number and remove them, than paint them with a roller.... but that is a lot of work and spraying is quicker. When spraying it's best to raise every panel a little so the wet paint won't form a bond between the panel and the grid. Don't forget that overspray can really travel so be sure to cover everything up good and seal off the rest of the house!

Old 12-30-13, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 38
Would removing the ceiling entirely gain you space?

If so, I'd look at doing that and then painting what's up there flat black.