painting a wood floor

Old 02-28-01, 05:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I am in the process of remodeling 2 bedrooms into one large master bedroom. Under the carpet is a wood(not fancy) floor. Instead of using carpet, due to allergies, I would like to paint the floor. What I would like to do is paint the floor to look like a marble floor. Can anyone give me some tips on doing this? I would greatly appreciate any information I could get on this. Thank you

Old 02-28-01, 09:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink marblelzing a floor

Ok, are you ready? First you will have to prep the floor. Sand the floor, wipe it clean and prime it with two coats of an alkyd primer (white). Sand between coats and remove all dust. Thin latex paint with water and glazing liquid. (Find a piece of marble that you want to copy, study the patterns, purchase paint colors to match.) Prepare a cellulose sponge for marbleizing. Wet it, then tear out irregular pieces from the face of the sponge and from the four edges. Pour a small amount of paint/glaze mixture on a paper plate. Gently place the torn side of the sponge in the mixture. Dab lightly for a mottled effect. Let dry. Use an artist's brush or the edge of feather to apply veining. Apply the veining in the same basic direction for a more realistic look. After the veins dry, seal with three coats of varnish or polyurethane.
Estimated time to marbleize and vein 12 sq. feet, not counting drying time: 5hrs., skill level: intermediate.
Recommended: practice, practice, practice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: