Primer Paint Needed?

Old 01-19-14, 10:53 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Primer Paint Needed?

Ive searched and searched and can not find ONE single direct answer on whether or not a PRIMER is NECESSARY for painting an open ceiling...simple as that. I plan on using FLAT BLACK paint but before i get started, I needed to know this. Also, I saw where SOME state you should THIN your paint.........this true seeing how ill be using a HVLP??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-14, 01:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
There is no one direct answer because there are many different types of surfaces and there are many different types and brands of paint. You told us the color and that it's a ceiling. Nice info but not really important. Things like material (what the ceiling is made of) condition (has it been previously painted or is it clean virgin material) and what paint you choose are the important details. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the paint you choose.

Whether or not you will need to thin the paint will depend on the paint you choose and your sprayer. There are many different paints and many different sprayers so it all depends on what paint you pick and whether or not your sprayer can handle it without thinning. Generally I have to say that an HVLP is not a good sprayer for thick paints like latex especially the really thick ones that claim to cover in one coat. In my experience high pressure airless work much better and as you'd expect more powerful commercial type sprayers perform better than small inexpensive ones.

Old 01-20-14, 02:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Short answer - on raw wood, paints need a primer but solid stains generally don't.

I agree with PD that painting with an HVLP will be a slow go and the paint will need to be thinned. Paint manufactures generally state not to thin their coatings more than 10% but latex paint will likely need to be thinned more than that to be sprayed with an HVLP although a lot depends on the tip size used.

To get by with 1 coat and assuming I couldn't get a black stain, I'd add 10% Flood's EmulsaBond to the latex paint [maybe thin slightly with water too] and spray the ceiling with an airless [they can be rented] Whenever spraying in an occupied dwelling you need to contain the overspray! It can travel thru ductwork and go thru doorways so everything should be sealed up good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: