Painting linoleum floors?

Old 03-01-01, 12:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I am currently remodeling a cinderblock beach cottage that is over 40 years old. The entire interior floor is old, dark brown linoleum tiles over cement foundation. The tiles are not cracking or buckling. With the new improvements in epoxy paints, is it possible (practical) to paint over this linoleum or should I just do ceramic tile?

Old 03-01-01, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
If you have the budget I would do tile. If not, it is possible to paint. If you are still interested, is your floor padded? If it is painting may not be the way to go. Let me know.

Old 03-02-01, 09:37 AM
Visiting Guest
gini-
I hope this reply gets to you, because I'm not navigating this site very well. As far as I know, there is no padding. There is just a concrete floor with the old type of linolelum tiles (not Mannington or the new shiny vinyl tiles);this is the old-fashioned, brittle linoleum of 40-50 years ago. The house was built around 1960. The only reason I'm posing this question is because we were told not to paint a formica cabinet in the bathroom, but a new paint came out three or four years ago that adheres to formica. The paint store told us that new epoxy developments made paint stick to surfaces that previously were "unpaintable" because of chipping and peeling. It may have been a marine paint, but we painted a green bathroom cabinet white and it has never chipped or scraped off in three years. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: