Process for fixing a scratch?

Old 01-21-14, 10:59 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Process for fixing a scratch?

Hi, I need to repair a little dent on a fairly small wall and I just need some tips from you guys.
Name:  DSC01532.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  12.6 KB
It is a small wall so I will paint over the entire wall. After I putty and sand the gash, will I need to prime the entire wall first or can I just paint over the entire wall without priming? Thanks for helping me out!

Old 01-21-14, 01:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You only need to prime the repair. Is there any texture on the wall? You might need to add a light texture to make the repair disappear. I couldn't tell from the pic if you have orange peel or even roller stipple, both can be duplicated with thinned down joint compound.

Old 01-21-14, 01:15 PM
R
Thank you. I don't have to worry about any texture. Someone at work told me I should be ok just priming the repair and then painting the repair since I'm using the same color. Agree? Disagree? Do I need to paint the entire wall?

Old 01-21-14, 01:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It's hard to say but often you can get by with just priming/painting the repair. A lot depends on the type/brand of paint used, how old the paint job is and how the light shines on the wall [including angle of sight] I'd mud the repair, sand, prime and touch up then evaluate whether or not it's acceptable.

Old 01-22-14, 03:48 AM
E
You ain't getting it perfect if you try to touch it up. At best it'll be next to unnoticeable if you have any more of the original paint or you get a great match. If this is in an area where the lighting isn't great and nobody really pages attention it should be fine. In well lit areas where people get a close look at the wall you'll want to paint the whole thing. Won't take long.

Old 01-22-14, 03:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Definitely prime the repair. Then try painting just that. Might work, might not. If not, then go ahead and paint the whole wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: