Is there a special paint for interior skylight surrounds?

Old 02-03-14, 08:03 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a special paint for interior skylight surrounds?

I have two recessed skylights in my kitchen. They are exposed to the sun. And the interior trim and recess surrounding the skylights gets a LOT of heat. The paint is now peeling. Is there any kind of paint that is more suited to such a high heat area? I have only seen radiator paint and that's an enamel. It needs to look like regular interior flat and semi-gloss for the trim. Thanks!!

Old 02-03-14, 08:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Generally paint failure at a skylight hole is caused by moisture. Is it peeling on the drywall? or just the trim at the top?

I've never had any paint failures other than moisture at the top when using a decent quality latex paint.

Old 02-03-14, 08:30 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Where it's peeling is bare wood showing or primer?

Old 02-03-14, 11:05 AM
E
Just the trim around the skylight frame. Drywall is fine. But it was last painted 10 years ago. I remember the painter saying he used a special paint. But I don't recall what he did.

Old 02-03-14, 12:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I generally prime and apply latex enamel to the wood trim. It can be difficult to get a lasting paint job on some skylights - it all depends on how much it sweats. I'd scrape/sand the wood, prime and apply a coat or two of latex enamel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: