What kind of primer to use over wall after removing wallpaper and applying paint

Old 03-03-01, 10:37 AM
Visiting Guest
I had a difficult time removing my old wallpaper. I needed to do much repairing on old plaster walls. I have washed and sanded all the walls to remove the glue. I hope all the glue is off but to be sure I want to place a good primer on so the the paint will adhere and not peel. Do I use oil base or water base primer? Some say I should use Bin or Kilz. What should I use to create a good surface for painting????

Old 03-03-01, 06:07 PM
Visiting Guest
primer after wallpaper before paint

The wallpaper paste is water soluable so the only real choice is a good alkyd primer to seal in the old paste residue. I would also suggest a good wash of the walls to make any wall repair easier. This primer needs to be applied before the wall repair because the joint compound will react with the old paste as well. Any wall repair may then be primed with latex as the paste will have been isolated by the coat of alkyd primer.

Old 03-03-01, 06:14 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Well said devro, http://www.dmbgrandprix@aol.com can take your advice and expect a good job....Mike

Old 03-05-01, 08:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Use "Shieldz" by Zinsser(tm). It will seal the wall and guarantee the removal of additional wallpaper. It can also be painted. It's the best on the market. 40 yrs+ experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: