tape/mask off vinyl cove base?

Old 02-20-14, 02:42 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
tape/mask off vinyl cove base?

I have what seems like miles of vinyl base cove base installed on some walls I'm planning on repainting. I'll be repainting the walls with the same existing paint color. Asking here for comments/suggestions on whether I should take the time/effort to try to stick masking tape all along the top edge of the cove base before rolling paint or otherwise cutting paint in with a brush. Seems like in the past when I've tried doing that I'd have the issue where the tape doesn't really stick that well to that rounded top edge of the vinyl cove base, and of course was quite a time-consuming task to try to meticulously apply the tape on there securely and perfectly straight, and even so I'd find later that the paint had bled through the masking tape here and there which just added more to the frustration.

I need to do a good clean job. I have read at least one tip where a professional painter said he masks off up the wall 1/16"or so with the tape and cuts in to that point when repainting with the same color, but still I wouldn't mind additional input from others here before I proceed.
Thanks.

Old 02-20-14, 02:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I've done it 2 ways, not sure if one is quicker/better than the other. If you tape, you still need to use care cutting it in - PAINT WILL SEEP UNDER THE TAPE!! or you can keep a bucket of water and rag handy and wash off any roller spray that gets onto the vinyl base.

Old 02-20-14, 03:14 PM
Hmm. Well if you're saying paint will definitely always seep under the tape onto the cove base edge even if I use care cutting it in then I can't quite see the point in taping at all. Unless maybe I do as the other suggestion I mentioned and tape about 1/6th up onto the wall and cut the paint to that point only.

Also, to me (before giving it a try to find out), the idea of using a bucket with water and a rag ready to wipe down paint I might get onto the top edge of the cove base seems like it might be rather messy with the water and fresh paint getting runny if I accidentally wiped any of the fresh paint on the wall just above the cove base with the wet rag.

I do have a fairly steady hand and could probably cut in close with paint just above the cove base without taping too. Or maybe that's not a reasonable approach either, I don't know.

I'm just throwing the above comments out for the sake of the discussion. Thanks, again.

Old 02-20-14, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
For people who can't cut a straight line, you might buy a painter's shield type of "straightedge". You hold it tight to the wall above the base, then brush some paint on. Paint will still want to wrap around the painter's shield if you glop it on, so you have to go easy on the amount of paint you apply, and wipe the painters shield clean and dry it with a clean towel every time you pick it up and move it.

I would definitely just cut it in, stay 1/16" away as you cut with the brush, and have a wet rag wrapped on a putty knife to clean any errant brush strokes. The biggest challenge most DIY painters face is the question of "how close should I get". 1/16" away is close enough. Heck, since you are using the same color paint, 1/8" is close enough! Don't make more work for yourself than you have to.

Old 02-20-14, 09:09 PM
Yeah XSleeper thanks for that suggestion(s). I do happen to have one of those painters shield straightedges you're talking about, I almost forgot about it. I think if I just use that as you describe that should work out. Seems like a good reasonable approach.

Old 02-20-14, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
Ok, well if you do that, keep the painter's shield 1/8" above the vinyl cove, cuz especially with that texture on the walls it will want to wrap around the shield. I would suggest you "dry brush" the wall while you hold the shield up... with just enough paint on the brush to make long strokes and get the parts closest to the cove. Then take the shield away, clean it off, set it down, put more paint on the brush, and brush the 2 1/2" to 3" above what you just cut, since you should be able to do that easily now that you just did the part closest to the cove. Assuming you're using a 2 1/2" brush. I'm kind of partial to angled sash brushes when I cut in, but to each his own.

Masking tape on the cove (or base) before you roll will help keep any splatter that might get on the cove down to a minimum. Thin paints splatter, as do cheap roller covers, and poor technique.

Old 02-20-14, 09:43 PM
Great. Thanks for those further helpful tips which I'll definitely keep in mind tomorrow when I get started with this painting job.

Old 02-21-14, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For me the biggest issue with painting above vinyl base is the roller splatter - tape or a wet rag takes care of that. For errant brushed on paint near the top of the base you can wrap your putty knife with the wet rag and carefully drag it across the edge.

Old 02-21-14, 08:23 AM
Thanks marksr and XSleeper.

Now I've found out that for about half these walls that a a new/different paint color has been decided upon instead For that challenge it seems I'll not have much choice other than to just try to meticulously tape off the top edge of the vinyl and then cut in with the paint brush as neatly and carefully as possible.

Old 02-21-14, 01:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually if you cut into the tape like it wasn't there you won't have any seepage. Slopping the paint over the tape relying on the tape to keep the base clean is when you get in trouble.

Old 02-21-14, 01:29 PM
Okay then. I'll go extra slow and be extra careful. Fun. Not.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: