Paint easily scratches off afterwards

Old 03-05-01, 02:18 PM
Kemo
Visiting Guest
Angry

I am trying to re-paint a room with "eggshell" light blue flat paint that has some kind of painted wood "paneling" that goes up the wall about half way. Well, after testing a small area I noticed that I could easily scratch off the new paint hours after it had dried with my fingernail. I'm not sure what kind of paint is currently on the wall - could it be something oil based that is not allowing the new paint to adhere properly?? Any thoughts?

Old 03-05-01, 05:35 PM
Visiting Guest
I am going to assume you are just re-painting over paint and not bare paneling. You can test the existing paint with Goof-off (paint or hardware store) Put a some on a rag and rub a hidden area of the surface to be painted, if it starts removing the paint it is latex, if it does not then it is oil based. If it is oil based paint then you will need to prime with an oil based primer prior to painting

Latex may be dry in a couple of hours but it takes more time for it to cure out good enough to be scratching on, try again in a couple of days, but if it is oil based paint you still need to prime it even it appears to be adhereing beter in a couple days. Also make sure your walls are clean, I would suggest TSP to clean them with, this will also help adhesion.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-01, 06:25 PM
Kemo
Visiting Guest
More

Thanks for the reply. Is "goof-off" similar to "goo-be-gone"?? I've got some of that and will try it in a little while. Yep, walls are clean and I am painting over an existing paint job on paneling - it's not the thin kind of laminate paneling either. House was previously owned by a contractor/home builder. I don't have any oil based primer, but a local store said I should try something called "bin" which is oil based.

Old 03-12-01, 10:27 AM
Kemo
Visiting Guest
Update!

Wanted to let you know that I found some primer called "BIN" that works wonderfully!! It took overnight for it set-up to the point where it wouldn't scratch off the bookcases. It stuck the walls right away.

Old 03-13-01, 04:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Kemo, oops, looks as if I missed your post titled "more", sorry. I see another mistake also, in you first post you did mention you are painting over existing paint and in my reply I start off with "I am going to assume". Sometimes I have limited time and I am hurrying to answer.

Zinsser Bin is a good primer, great bonding qualities. Glad all worked out for you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: