Different Types of Caulk for Crown Molding?

Old 04-01-14, 01:51 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Different Types of Caulk for Crown Molding?


I'd read online about several different types of caulk for fixing the gaps in crown/base molding and the biggest takeaway I have so far is to buy a quality product. Different people had different preferences, but I was looking at GE products. Has anyone had any experience with the following products?
GE Max*Flex Window / Door / Trim (acrylic urethane)
GE Max*Stretch (siliconized acrylic)

I have very small spaces (1/16") above and below the molding and then larger gaps (1/8") between the pieces of molding. So should I use the GE Max Stretch for the wood pieces and then the GE Max Flex between the wall and molding? The Max Stretch doesn't mention drywall as a good surface. The gap between the molding pieces seem to close up during the summer so then will the caulk be squeezed out?

Old 04-01-14, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,233
Received 757 Upvotes on 662 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Caulking on crown molding is often problematic. The main culprit is lack of secure places to nail the crown too. Seasonal expanding/contracting is generally just a small issue, even less when the HVAC is run year round.

Other than their silicone, I don't think I've ever used any GE caulking. An urethane caulk is generally superior to latex caulk. A siliconized acrylic latex caulk is superior to most other latex caulks.
Old 04-01-14, 03:34 PM
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 47
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the gap expands/contracts quite a bit, like more than a few millimeters, you need something a little more pricey. My favourite is Sikaflex 1a. Stays super flexible.

Even the cheaper latex caulks will harden and Crack on surfaces that see no movement.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: