To sweetjulied, painting tile.

Old 03-07-01, 07:12 AM
Visiting Guest
sweetjulied has sent me an email with this question, but has opted out of recieving email so I will answer here:

Chipfo,
I stumbled across your response after posting a similar question in ceramic tile forum. It seems like the process you're recomending for tile paint is kind of agressive. Is there anything out there that is not quite so toxic? I am a little afraid of a product that needs to be used with a resperator. If I were to hire someone to do it, how long would it take before the house was habitable?

The Integrity coatings take about 30 minutes to re-coat, 2 coats of primer and up to 3 coats of paint, if a painter gets in and gets to work, he could paint a bathtub in a day.

Zinnsers' 1-2-3 primer claims to adhere very well to tile, you could try this for a less toxic and fumey application and paint over with a quality paint of choice, it is water based, however, I will suggest NOT useing it on bathtubs, sinks, counters or floor tile due to the abuse these go through I would recomend the two part epoxie system, for wall tile or backsplashes I would say try it, I have seen tile walls painted before with no peeling, with what appeared to be regular latex.

http://www.zinsser.com/products/123primr.html

http://www.integritycoatings.com/index.html

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-01, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
E.S.P is an excellent product to use as a primer on ceramic tiles....If you can find a supplier in your part of the world!! You just wipe it on....Then after 45 mins wipe again removing excess and in 30 mins more your ready to paint. I have never (so far ) had any comeback or complaints in regards chipping paint from my customers............YET!! Lets hope Im not tempting fate!!