Exterior latex over linseed oil

Old 04-09-14, 12:49 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior latex over linseed oil

I just put up a new gate between boards which I lagged onto the sides of the house and detached garage (gate separates the back yard from the driveway area and provides required containment of an area with a hot tub).

I have initially finished the gate itself with linseed oil for weatherproofing, but the boards it's hung on are painted with a couple coats of exterior gloss to stop anything from getting in that might spread into the structure, now the gate is starting to look a little out of place to me since it's surrounded by painted wood, then stucco. I will be building some fencing in the area to replace an existing block wall which wasn't properly built which will match the gate more closely, but that's farther down my punch-list on this house.

I know I could put oil-based paint over the linseed finish, but the paint I have on hand is water-based latex. Would water-based paint stick to oiled wood (redwood for structure, cedar pickets)?

Old 04-09-14, 04:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'd use an oil based primer before the paint.

Old 04-10-14, 03:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree! use an oil base primer, latex paint might adhere to well weathered linseed oil but it's better to play it safe. The tannins in both redwood and cedar will bleed thru latex paint. To prevent the tannin bleed you need to apply a good solid coat of oil base primer.

Old 04-10-14, 12:15 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks.

What will the tannin bleed look like? the mounting I put up for the gate (old mounts weren't tall enough and were rotted out) is PT redwood that I've already painted with two coats of the white latex but didn't treat with oil, the posts are lagged onto structure and I didn't want to leave them raw. I used the paint because I had a quart on hand which I got for some fascia boards (pine or doug fir or something like that) which the termite guys replaced and couldn't legally paint.

Old 04-10-14, 02:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Tannin bleed while not always noticeable with dark colors, makes the paint look dark or dirty. It doesn't always bleed everywhere but generally bleeds thru latex only anywhere from hours to months.

I've never seen PT redwood but I've never been to west coast either Normally in the SE all the PT wood is pine [the only pine that will hold up on a deck] We don't see a lot of redwood [too expensive] but both redwood and cedar need an oil base primer if being painted/stained a light color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: