refinishing an exterior wood door

Old 03-09-01, 11:11 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm getting ready to refinish an exterior wood door. I plan to clean it with TSP, let it dry overnight and then sand and stain it with Minwax gel stain. After that dries, I plan to apply several coats of Minwax polyurethane. Is this the best way to proceed? Do I need to sand after the gel stain coat and before the first coat of polyurethane?

Old 03-10-01, 06:10 AM
Visiting Guest
I am not familiar with Minwax gel stain but when I use stain I never sand the stain coat, only after each clear coat, lightly, with a 220 grit sandpaper. Make sure you are useing exterior products on the exterior side of the door

Old 03-10-01, 06:40 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hey Chipfo, Try the gel if you ever run into another metal door unit that has the vinyl covering on it. This stain has enough body to stay put while it is drying. I'll never understand people buying a metal door and then asking for stain....Mike

Old 03-16-01, 05:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool refinishing exterior wood door

Hello. I refinished the exterior of my front door (wood) last fall. I used spahr urethane which is recommended for outdoor use - I believe 2-3 coats are recommended. The door is original and is made from oak. It turned out quite nice (considering I did it) and the finish looks good even after this winter. (I may put another coat of the urethane on before next winter.) Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: