Need help removing gloss paint from doors skirting boards please

Old 07-09-14, 05:11 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help removing gloss paint from doors skirting boards please

I painted my skirting boards with gloss paint from B&Q (never again!) it has been peeling and leaving a horrible odour! I was told to just sand it off the alcoves and undercoat it before re painting with a water based paint. I have a black and decker mouse to do sand with only and some sanding blocks plus a scraping knife.

after priming it with undercoat I was told to buy water based paint to paint the skirting boards and alcoves my door frames.

one of my interior door sis painted brown I am told to remove it off the hinges and sand it fully as much as possible it has been painted with garage/shed paint like ronseal not of my doing previous tenant painted things strange colours.... any paint they found just threw onto places and said that will do. Mainly brown! blue/green! ( just yuck!)

the issue is too much advice nothing concrete. I need advice that is standard advice and tells me what to do properly, without just putting good money after bad.

I want to re paint these skirting boards the are gloss white b&Q around 11 a tin. the issue is this stuff peels flakes and it's only just gone on...

I'd like to re paint it as it's a mess. it will be a nightmare sanding this. luckily it's just the alcoves but getting into corners is going to be hell when on a ladder...:S

what paint should I use to make it last a longtime and not stain fast please?

they have told me to sand my doors ( which have a gloss finish one is brown gloss the rest are white gloss peeling) the doors need sanding to make them a flat surface. which paint can I cover the doors with please? ( I hate gloss it drips so badly!)

my walls have been filled and sanded by myself to a smooth finish.

I have been told by b&Q to repaint my walls fully with white paint every wall everything in white. Then I am to buy 2 tins of Valspar to paint my rooms.

The thing is the reviews on valspar are shocking. I was told it will last 10 years this paint..( I doubt that)

im in a studio flat there is condensation often and the paint I have already peels. yet I have just done my bathroom with dulux and that has covered nicely whetehr it is long lasting im yet to know. I used sugar water to prep it left it 2 days then painting straight over the other paint. ( I probably should have painted it white according to B&Qs rules)

id love to know what to do really as im worried im putting in long hours for sake of it.

I do have a tin of nitromors yet they told me not to use it on the gloss on my doors. they justs and sand it completely and buy undercoat hmm.

all I can hear in my head is alarm bells saying lets flog her lots of stuff she's stupid but...I do feel that I'm being lied to here.
they have said they will refund the gloss paint and they did say they don't recommend anyone to buy it or the value one for 6.00 yet they will refund me for the paint but not the damage it caused ot my carpet and how much it dripped on my clothing ect and stuck to it. somehow they know it's bad but won't admit to it. I don't want to buy there again really.
I want to really paint my place economically as possible not spend lots and lots of cash but have something long lasting. I want to make sure I don't just start sanding and it's the wrong thing to do. thanks!

any advice would be great please

Old 07-09-14, 05:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Where are you located?
Anyway to post some pictures?
A whole lot of misconceptions stated in your post.
Gloss runs no more then any other paint does, it's how it was applied that causes runs.
Gloss does not peel any more then other paints, it's how it was prepped and what it was painted over that causes peeling.
A dirty surface, painting latex over oil based paint, painting over a gloss surface without sanding first, painting bare wood without a primer, high moisture, can all cause peeling.
A mouse sander is fine for detail or tight quarters, but useless for any real sanding. Going to need a random orbital sander for that.

Old 07-10-14, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Gloss enamel generally costs more than semi-gloss but the additional cost is very minimal.

The 2 biggest reasons for paint to peel is; moisture under the coating and painting over contaminants on the surface. That includes using the wrong paint or primer over certain coatings.

I'm not familiar with all the terms/names you used but an educated guess suggests that latex paint was applied over an oil base enamel The only way to successfully apply latex over an oil enamel is to sand and apply a solvent based primer first [oil base or pigmented shellac] Any poorly bonded paint that isn't removed is likely to peel later I'd suggest scraping and sanding. Start out with 60-80 grit and finish up the sanding with 120-150 grit, then using a solvent based primer. Most any type of residential paint [including latex] can be applied successfully over the primer.

Normally you will find the best coatings [advice too] at your local paint store - not a paint dept where the store's main business isn't paint related.

Old 07-10-14, 05:35 AM
G
I sanded beforehand where I was painting. B&Q said the paint wasn't good and they never sell it to anyone if anyone asks them what paint they say don't buy it.

still unsure about the walls if I need to paint them completely white thus taking extra time with undercoat or I just paint over them completely what colour I want.
I justr ead a post elsewhere a man same as me told then to buy valpsar after 3 weeks didn't dry on wall and he lent his airer by it and the paint stuck to it! 3 weeks not drying that was b&Q. it's not just me have foudn other posts saying issues with their paints.

I won't be buying there again even their dulus got recalled brilliant white it went yellow! so yes they have issues with paint and it's not always the other persons fault.

yes I have come to realise b&Q know little about what they say they just regurgitate info they have been force fed to make sales. it's frustrating.

they blame blame blame the consumer on everything yet it's their issue to sell products that work.

I have used gloss once before in my old home and it was fine...this was thick lumpy and dripping...everywhere.

some pics uploaded oddly they are showing side on..:s I have to go out as need to sort food feed cat.

whereabouts its cambridgeshire

Last edited by Grace Hallons; 07-10-14 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-10-14, 05:40 AM
G
I actually scraped and sanded beforehand so dont get why it peeled only thing was didnt use a primer as they stated no the gloss is fine without a primer yet I did tell them I had sanded scraped it beforehand. I am dreading making a start on it I simply want to give up completely and leave the whole job and never do it. it's just too much to do. the person who lived here before was a known oddball they put any paint any colour anywhere it's like a rainbow on the skirting boards as for types of paint too many were applied layers n layers of any paint. it had some gloss some flat some satin so trying to find a primer that would suffice is a nightmare I honestly dont know how best to tackle that as too many types of paint. it's 50/50 what would even be a good one.

I honestly dont udnerstand myself what paints they have used as justt oo mnay on it.

Old 07-10-14, 05:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Sounds like it might be best to strip back to bare wood and start over.

That way you at least know what all of the materials involved are.

Old 07-10-14, 05:59 AM
G
I will try to get some pictures of the areas I haven't sanded and also where the gloss is now on the wood I have sanded scraped. I will be over time sanding it scraping it completely. i am dreading the dust eventhough I have an extractor on my sander :S

I have a tin of dulux trade eggshell I want to use on the skirting boards eventually. I am mad at myself as I know I should have said yes use the trade tin the eggshell. I am kickign myself .I will take some pics infact least it will be easier for people to see. I will aslo take pics of the previosu tenants un handy work and you can all go OMG that's D.I.Y hell yeh it is I infact am going to need the empty can afterwards to scream into!

it's odd for me I have painted my mums home before and my old bedroom but that was over blown vinyl white wallpaper. Yes I prefer wallpaper on my walls. I know in time I will probably put blown vinyl on the walls and paint over it but for now Im just going to paint the walls.

im looking at crown emulsion brilliant white for the walls.

my bathroom I used sugar water left to dry for 2 days then paintined it ill get some pics.

I did use gloss not long ago on my radiator all fine ( this was trade dulux though!) that worked fine.

brb goign to get snap happy!

Old 07-10-14, 06:18 AM
G
some pics now uploaded maybe this will explain it some I have sanded some is previous tenant some is mine.

Old 07-10-14, 06:32 AM
G
Old 07-10-14, 06:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It would help to know what type of paint was originally on the woodwork - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

I have run into occasions where the paint was defective from the factory but those times are rare. Usually the issue are from inferior paint or the wrong paint for the job at hand. Most every paint manufacture has both cheap and good paint. The cheap paint is rarely ever a good deal. When applying any latex coating over oil base enamel - sanding alone is rarely enough, you need the solvent primer to bridge the gap between oil enamel and latex paint.

Old 07-10-14, 06:36 AM
G
you can see the dulux worked fine on radiator and wall. yay for tradepaint. I am probably going to go trade all the way because the paint form trade I have noticed is so much better and the wall it looks great after only 4 coats. the radiator had 2 coats of gloss and it came out quite nice I think.

Old 07-10-14, 06:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Just looked at the pics and on the ones where the white paint is peeling over an offwhite paint - that looks a lot like latex paint that was painted directly over oil enamel.

Quality paints generally cover and look good after 1-2 coats!

Old 07-10-14, 01:12 PM
G
I have started on the door frame in bathroom used some nitromors left for 45 minutes hmmm I'm impressed! it took off the gloss very fast ( ok I still must sand the below layers as well I have noticed below my skirting boards on removal of gloss she has painted them a rather nice gloss pink. I am going to get some rubbing alcohol and test it soon. I am in the process of buying some trade paint atm emulsion matt white crown.
Thanks for the replies. I hope the pictures explain it. I will take more pics when I have charged my cameras batteries and show how far the nitromors has gone and the pink left on my skirting boards. :-)

the replies are great. I am quite amazed at nitromors ability to shift paint yet of course I know I still must sand it all! I am going to tackle the hallway and bathroom first going to section off an area and deal with one place at a time. the bathroom needs doing first though.

I have a 2.5l of dulux trade eggshell unused I'd like to do all my skirting boards alcoves with door frames.

I am yet to know which primer I should apply under it.I don't want to use the wrong undercoat primer under it and risk more errors. I am also looking at a new brush a 3" 1/2 angled one for cutting in around the frames. ( God I need to stop watching d.i.y videos)

Old 07-10-14, 01:21 PM
G
thank you saved the thread on knowing what kind of paint I have rubbing alcohol and que tips where to get the rubbing alcohol from though? it's weird so many places don't stock it.

I have the dulux trade eggshell. it's the normal satin finish one. bog standard paint
Dulux Trade Eggshell | Dulux Decorator Centre
can someone advise a undercoat for this please

Old 07-10-14, 01:32 PM
G
update just ordered 2 lots of matt emulsion white crown trade cost me about 30 for 15 ltrs
plus some extra polycell paint stripper.
I will continue sanding but it will help to get off some of the layers plus it wasn't expensive 9.00 for a litre. should arrive in 2 days I won't be using it yet as of course want to do the prep work. get the skirting boards sorted but had to grab it while the price was that good.

now still trying to find a undercoat the dulux trade undercoat which goes under the eggshell is rather pricey:S
is there other primer/undercoats I can use instead that will go under the dulux trade ones please?

thanks!:-)

Old 07-10-14, 01:36 PM
G
one door is completely covered head to toe int he brown shiny paint you see. I am thinking of removing that off the hinges and sanding it:S
I am unsuer if it would be better to prime it and put udnercoat on it and just paint over it

Old 07-10-14, 01:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never been to a paint store that didn't sell denatured alcohol, I don't know about the paint depts although I would think a big box store would stock it.

What primer to use is dependent on the substrate the paint is being applied to. If you are painting over oil base enamel you must use a solvent based primer. If the paint is to be applied over raw wood - you'd use either an oil base or latex enamel undercoater. There are other primers that will also work but they might not do a good job of holding a level sheen with the finish paint.

Old 07-10-14, 01:47 PM
G
ok I will be heading to B&Q next week to get a refund so I will grab the alcohol. I hoped to order the primer already but it's hard even form my pics to tell what the paint it. ( it looks like a mint humbug lol!)
my heads spinning with term as even seen 2 in 1 primer and undercoat.
so i guess it will need both then painting ( god what a headache wish i could just throw the paint on and walk away and say stuff it there done! no sanding. I wish! the weird thing is I enjoy painting the walls find it therapeutic infact. I oddly enjoy it.! I think it's nice to stand back and see that it looks good.
thanks for the repleis my heads still in the process of I want that primer a.s.a.p and to grab it fast lol.

thanks for the replies Marksr

Old 07-10-14, 01:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I would go with oil based primer since you seem to be having trouble due to latex paint over oil based paint.

I never buy products which claim to be paint and primer in one.

Old 07-10-14, 01:55 PM
G
been looking at Rustins primer and also the rustins 2 in one primer undercoat reviews seem good but would it work there is the thing.
I have a voucher so tempted to order the 2 in 1 rustins primer undercoat 500mls.
I have a 6.00 amazon voucher so it won't cost me too much to buy it.

opinions on the product needed please thank you :-)

Old 07-10-14, 01:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always thought that primer in one paint was more sales hype than fact. Most repaints do not require a primer no matter what the primer advertisers would have us to believe.

I've painted for a living most of my life and I do enjoy it .... but not always the aggravation that comes with some jobs. No matter the job, there is almost always satisfaction when you finish! Try not to dwell on the troubles you are currently having and remember the satisfaction and bragging rites you'll have when you finish.

Old 07-11-14, 10:57 AM
G
Talking

yes looking forward to getting it finish :-)
at the moment hit a slump today as darn it think I need a root canal toothache has hit me for 6!

thanks for the advice :-)

I bought a 2 in 1 primer anyhow as I got it for free with the voucher I'll just store it as an incase item or just pass it onto someone in family.

least I now have 15lts or emulsion on the way.

I am seriously thinking of tinting some to my own colour just to add a hint of colour after putting the first 2-4 layers of white emulsion on and saving enough for later touch ups. I wanted to do peach but it's not such a common colour. I noticed even crown were phasing it out.
I am struggling with which colours at the moment but peach is singing to me for my hallway. I want to keep it warm light bright. the main rom at the moment is butterscotch but im absolutely sick of it. kitchen is green I don't mind it so much but, what were they thinking the floor is tiled blue. it's just not right is it. dark blue with mint green just looks very odd.

my bedroom as i'm not male I find it very difficult I feel also like I am living in a bathroom as they painted it turquoise . it does have a feature wall with a very dark blue and the doors are painted a light periwinkle colour. just too many colours all over the place.

I have to say loving dulux at the moment and I am 100% sticking to trade paints I am done with spending less and getting rubbish quality.

the one question that is always on my mind is how on earth do you clean paintwork safely as not to make it peel fade and remove grease stains.

I have sugar soap around. I just dont want to put anything on it that causes it to peel.

I have sent for matt emulsion white crown. I am hoping matt will last longer than me buying the satin version...( I hope) If not I will buy the satin as a top sheen and add some colour to the satin version of it :P

so id be painting it white washing it with the matt emulsion.
then finally adding colour with the satin if so needs.

thanks all. sorry to babble between a few things in one go!

thanks for the response.

Old 07-11-14, 12:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it's been about 25 yrs since I've used any Dulux coatings. Most of what I've used has been in their oil base line. I'm not familiar with their current lines of paint.

While I've heard of it, I really don't know anything about sugar soap

Generally the more sheen a paint has, the better it will clean. Eggshell enamel should be more scrubable than matte.

Of all the things you can do to change the appearance of your home - paint is probably the cheapest. I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with colors and would definitely change out colors that didn't suit me or go with the rest of the decor.

Old 07-12-14, 02:16 PM
G
Thanks again:-)

just started on the sanding with my electric sander not a fun job with the dust that flies. I made sure I was covered well mask goggles and well ventilated.
just sent for higher grit sandpaper 80 as just ran out of 60 grit hoping the 80 will give it a quicker nudge. it's getting there but with a now stomach bug and toothache it's just not something you want to put your mind to. Having said that, I did feel a bit better in knowing I'd made a good start on it all. it takes a longtime though to sand one piece of wood wish it was faster. hating doing the overhead sanding that's the worst part up the step ladder and watch half of it land on you lovely.
right might send for a 7.5ltr of the satin sheen then. Still can't decide on what colour to go due to the kitchen has blue tiles on the floor. I know it will be neutral did want a pink tint originally but with blue hmm. might just add a very light ice blue tint to it instead.
hallway was thinking peach.
I guess I'll figure out next week when I hit the stores get my refund and probably end up in wickes lol!

Old 07-12-14, 03:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
ran out of 60 grit hoping the 80 will give it a quicker nudge.
Not sure what you meant with that statement 80 grit is finer than 60 grit. It won't sand as quick or as aggressively as the 60 but will leave less sanding scratches. Normally you use however coarse a grit you need and then finish up with 120 grit.

Old 07-13-14, 09:13 AM
G
can I just sand the paint down a little bit instead and prime over it as my neighbour is really ill she has to slepe certain times she's 94 and I didn't realise how much it was annoying her today yet I finish always at around 4pm 3pm so she can sleep anyhow and only work on it 1-3 hours a day. ( it's all I can manage anyhow it wipes me out completely!

I'm thinking sanding it a bit...with the 120 then priming it oil based primer then painting over it...as I have got down mostly to a white. some of the edges of the skirting boards are down to the pure wood. the other parts brown I will still sand off completely.

tempted to sand it so it's just flat then prime over it with oil based then ....paint it.

it's become a job that's upsetting my neighbour. I have put a letter through her door explaining there is a huge amount to be done but, yet it's still annoying her and she is telling me off for it infact getting people to bang my door to stop. amazing the noise I put up with kids kicking balls on my wall..screaming loud music and yet I'm meant to be ok with all that but, not allowed to do my own. d.i.y my other neighbour did his consistently without her moaning.
mind you she has always had it in with me as her husband left her during the war for some friend of hers...so she hates women..( God don't I know it and her carer too we really do get insults from her..( she sure likes to call women hussy and worse!) yeh she's great!
anyhow I drop gifts in her door sometimes to try to cheer her up it never works but it's worth a try. I do as she says when she says it and mostly pray that she will be ina better mood. I have my tv on almost mute with subtitles yep..! ima good neighbour I have even cooked for he rin which she threw it in the bin. even got her groceries so she didn't eat off chicken. she neevr ate what i bought and binne dit thus getting food poisoning form dodgey chicken smh!

omgd ha ha ha as im typing this my other neighbour is now mowing the lawn.

bwah ha ha!

well I have some polycell stripper on the way 1ltr lot tempted to give that a go also...to try and cut down on some other areas.hopefully that will help as yes she is controlling me. Im currently her favourite robot.

Old 07-13-14, 09:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I can appreciate you trying to get along with your neighbor and agree that the elderly should be given extra consideration but you can only do so much!Assuming the most noise you are making is coming from an electric sander along with moving things as needed, I'm not sure there is much you can do. Accommodate her when you can but you aren't breaking any laws and the job still needs to be done.

Basically you only need to sand it smooth and/or remove any paint that hasn't bonded well to the underlying paint.

Old 07-14-14, 04:32 AM
G
yes no other noise made I am like a mouse only noise is yes form a sander and she is meant to be stone deaf so god knows how she can hear it! she has benefits help for being deaf but told me she can hear everything! hmmm that is odd.

yes I don't have tv loud I make sure everything is quiet. I am going to ge ton with the sanding soon no matter what. I can't not do it, it's my home.

Old 07-14-14, 04:45 AM
G
I dont have a bag on the mouse it's self is there any way of attaching one?
I have a extractor on the back as the dust is a nightmare. thanks tempted to just wrap one round the extractor fan somehow.

Old 07-14-14, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never used one of those little 'mouse' sanders. If a dust bag isn't an option on one, I'd guess that they aren't very effective for that type of sander. Hopefully someone smarter than me will respond

Old 07-14-14, 10:57 AM
G
I persevered and added the extractor part to the back it helped somewhat i sanded some down.
I then applied some polycell paint stripper hmm it did a reasonable job but made one heck of a mess! it certainly lifted the brown clean off! yet the rest of the paint oddly it don't want to shift it does make it easier however to just scrape it off with a scraper. i am using a Dial one atm it's ok but, I know I need to upgrade it.
That polycell really stinks and I got it on trade price luckily it was about 5.00 for 1Ltr. I'm relatively pleased in the fact it shifted the brown so I can start sanding the dreadful blue off. I will be so happy when it gets down to the white layer.
tempted to get some biostrip I did find nitromors good but wow it isn't good stuff for fumes I had a fan on constantly with it. polycell at least vanishes with a fan on but polycell is rather pungent stinky and it only takes 1-2 layers of paint off.
it says max strength but..I found it very weak stuff mind you I could have elft it for 4 hours but, feel it stopped working at 2. I didn't have any foil around so unable to wrap it to keep it going.
from what i can see it looks like all layers below which is a swirl of colours.
it goes brown/white/dark blue which looks like some kind of satin dark blue shade. possibly valspar/green which looks like ordinary matte paint.I recognise this colour form dulux once. Im sure I had that on my walls one time.
then there is a cream layer which looks like some kind of cream eggshell but it's darn thick about 2-3 coats but scrapes off with a scraper easily it peels off and has a sheen looks plasticy.. then finally underneath is just white matt paint which comes off very quickly when sanded. it just come soff in 2-3 buffs with a sander.
so a complete mishmash of styles! lol!
I have a surveyor coming tomorrow I am hoping...they can help me as my roof is old starting to crack in places the person who did the roof didn't put tape in it just my luck!so each beam is cracking I'm livid that the property was left like this and no one did a thing about it before I moved in they just threw me into it to downsize me with no exceptions. and that needs sorting yes...I kind of moved into somewhere that has some issues. I know once they are fixed the place will be fine, it's a nice apartment it just has a few issues form previous tenants lack of care.
if it starts becoming a money pitt then I will be moving out and drop it all.

got my crown matte emulsion turn up today 15ltrs so I cna stick that away to one side just glad it's there weight off my mind as to say it's sitting there and least I have it.
I had a wheel to move so they said and they moved me within 3! I was basically tufted out downsized and stuck in a place where it's a mass project for me to fix..it's very unfair and I feel it shouldn't even be at my cost of fault but, complaining to the council/government don't help. They'd say you have a roof many don't get on with it..so I am under angered feelings

Old 07-14-14, 12:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally the more caustic [and stinky] the the stripper is, the better/faster it will work. All strippers work pretty much the same way; they soften up the existing finish giving you a certain amount of time to scrape off the old paint. At some point the paint will start to harden back up if it isn't removed. Some of the milder strippers do ok with latex coatings but won't hardly touch oil base paints.

Old 07-15-14, 04:36 AM
G
I sent for some bartoline stripper. I will still sand in places but I am going to give up in some places and throw some primer/undercoat on when it gets down to the final white as..I am starting to tire of it..I am sick of keep sanding atm.
the bottle is 2.5l so I have enough to do bits and pieces of it. if it just agitates it a bit that'll be enough for me so i can get a scraper behind some of it at least.
I am hating how much it's costing me when it should imo be the councils issue to sort it b4 I move in not leave multi coloured paints around and things that need fixing and move me in. Stupid not to fix it beforehand.

thanks

Old 07-15-14, 04:44 AM
G
Name:  DSCF4090.jpg
Views: 3552
Size:  16.2 KBName:  DSCF4130.jpg
Views: 7801
Size:  19.6 KBName:  DSCF4131.jpg
Views: 4824
Size:  21.8 KBName:  DSCF4135.jpg
Views: 3136
Size:  15.3 KBName:  DSCF4136.jpg
Views: 5143
Size:  19.8 KB

the door covered in brown shiny paint no idea how to fix. was told to sand it there is no chance of me sanding that with a mouse sander it just won't do that job. prime it maybe? is that even possible.

the rest the wood stripped back via a mouse and 60-80 grit

the rest some of which was stripped with paint stripper you can see the brown just came off others it took layers off and revealed the brown.

Old 07-15-14, 04:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't have to sand off sound well adhered paint to change the color, just sand lightly, prime and paint ..... sometimes you can skip the primer and just apply 2 coats of finish paint.

Old 07-16-14, 11:51 AM
G
ok thanks I will just buff it so it's got no shine. great that's saving time then I just need to wait for my primer to turn up.
sadly I have had to sit back as a injury from a fractured wrist oftens flares up. it got fractured a year ago but it sometimes decided to give me a lot of pain and I get a swelling on the bone turn up lovely.
I do have a old heat gun with attachments hmm I wonder if that would be of use in places? I guess it can't hurt to test it really.

thanks for the reply!

Old 07-17-14, 10:37 AM
G
updated

never ever do as I just did because I am sitting in my home head in my hands going why oh why did I do this.

do not ever put bartoline paint stripper on layers of latex paint the mess you are left with afterwards is sheer hell. I have no idea how I am going to fix this now.
basically the stripper strips but it bleeds other paint onto other areas oh yeah it bleeds your rainbow colours into places you don't want it. then the washing the scraping and the stripper dries and yep you guessed it the paint adheres its self again to the walls in a nice spackled manner and how on earth do I remove it now.
I iwll be sending the other bottle back I imagine at my cost to return it.
argh I am just not cut out for d.i.y I now hate my housing officer with a passion and I am tired because I am sick to death of trying to fix this place and it just sticking 2 fingers up back at me.
I literally can't handle it anymore I actually give up i admit defeat at this moment in time no idea now how to fix it.

Old 07-17-14, 10:50 AM
G
I guess I will be getting the hot air blower out and using that to fix this well done me for using paint stripper on alcoves.

tip is use it on the bottom just the skirting boards and windowsills people have painted use it on lower portions of the wood never use it on higher up areas as trying to scrape the paint stripper off high up is a bad idea. make sure wear goggles etc as yes can drip in the eyes. I was gld had goggles on as I saw it drip on my goggles I was grateful.

Ok I got a lot of paint off but it's still made a mess.
tempted to give it a good clean with white spirit to neutralise the paint stripper.

I guess the hot air blower will be coming out in full force luckily it's a very small area I have used the paint stripper or id' be completely stuffed!

good job I tested it and didn't go nuts with using it everywhere. that I have been known to do.

Old 07-17-14, 11:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes it's best to step back and give yourself a break! often that will prevent the job at hand from overwhelming you.

When applying stripper you don't want to apply more than you can remove before it starts to set back up and yes, you do need to be mindful of where the debris goes so you don't make a mess elsewhere. It is not imperative you remove all the old paint. The main thing is to remove what isn't bonded properly, most anything else can be sanded into submission, primed and be ready for a fresh coat of paint.

Old 07-17-14, 11:54 AM
G
yes I am taking a step back as I have damaged my wrist so it's proving harder to do this. I will give myself a break and say right step back from it you're angered with it do it when you really want to do it.

Yes the sander is useful and I just bought some attachments to it.
going to be out of money very soon so, I am going to have to step back and said right it's my home not that many people come into it who cares it'll get sorted soon enough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: