Touching up a newly painted wall

Old 07-14-14, 11:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Touching up a newly painted wall

Hi All,

So I painted an accent wall about 6 days ago and noticed yesterday that a 2x2 spot where the paint pulled. I think it happened when I was painting and the paint was drying. For some reason when I use the behr satin paint I feel like once I apply it the paint dries in less than 5 mins so I can't keep a wet edge..ugs! Is there anyway to touch it up without having the paint be noticeable or flash? More info: the paint color is a dark brown, tinted dark and satin sheen.

Thanks!

J

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 12:55 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Touching up paint

Hi,

If I touch up paint on recently painted walls will the paint color and sheen even out when the paint cures?

J

Old 07-15-14, 01:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 46 Posts
Best answer I have is sometimes. Some of my walls the paint will match other walls it doesn't. Sometimes in same room.

Old 07-15-14, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Votes on 179 Posts
A lot depends on the paint! Some brands/lines of paint touch up better than other. Light refraction also plays a big part! All touch ups will show if the angle of sight and lighting is right but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be easy to spot. Flat paints and light colors tend to touch up better than enamels or dark colors but there can be a big difference in how the different brands react.

Old 07-15-14, 04:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Votes on 179 Posts
I merged your 2 threads as the first post now - revels more info .... and there was no need for 2 threads

It may be difficult to get a dark brown satin paint to touch up. Generally dark enamels touch up better if you just hit the spot needed and don't try to feather it out to make it blend. Usually touch ups in the corners are more forgiving than ones in the middle of the wall.

I've not applied enough Behr coatings to know any of their idiosyncrasies. Generally if a paint dries too fast it means the substrate is too dry [excluding extra hot temps] The fix is to either prime the wall or thin the paint so it will work better.