slingin' mud

Old 03-13-01, 05:50 PM
Married only to a house!
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had to cut out a section of wall in my living room to repair bathroom plumbing.

Can I plaster the entire wall where the cut out and repair was made? This would allow me to use my mud dobber {great tool by the way}to apply plaster {joint compound} and "blend" in the repair with the original wall. The slightly textured wall was recently painted with a semi gloss water based {latex?} paint. Will the mud stick to the paint?

Also, can I repaint the entire wall with a less glossy paint such as a satin or a flat paint? The current finish is way too shiny - What is the most common finish used for walls?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-01, 08:45 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Housemarried, I think after the basic patching is done(taping, bedding, skimming) prime with a latex primer such as KILZ 2, KILZ Total One or Zinsser 123. This will assure no mud ever comes loose. I would say these days that eggshell sheen is the most common finish used on walls...Mike

Old 03-13-01, 08:52 PM
Married only to a house!
Thanks Mike,
But I might have a problem...
I had already started to plaster a few weeks ago and did not use tape. Is this going to cause a problem? If it is, how do I correct it?

Old 03-13-01, 08:59 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
The lack of tape could cause a hairline crack in time. If you are still in the raw mud stage you could sponge or sand the area down a bit and apply tape, bed it and touch up texture. In this case since you seem to know your way around use paper tape....Mike

Old 03-13-01, 09:13 PM
Married only to a house!
I will be able to tape the area.
Please forgive my ignorance to the lingo - When you say "bed" the tape do you mean to apply some mud to the joint, apply the tape, then mud over the tape? Do I let it dry completely before my final coat?

Old 03-13-01, 09:34 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Housemarried, Forgive my assumption that everyone knows these terms. The answer to all of your questions is yes. Isn't that neat!.....Get back if more questions and good luck with your project...Mike

Old 03-13-01, 09:49 PM
Married only to a house!
Well there's nothing wrong with being right!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, MIKE!