Painting Shed

Old 07-17-14, 10:52 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting Shed

Do you normally use glossy paint on a shed exterior? I'm finishing building one and will need to start painting soon. Its build from SmartPanels all around that already came pre-primed and will be painting it a light beige color. I also added pre primed 1"x4" trim around the corners which I want to paint white. My roof fascia which I also want to paint white are 1"x8" redwood boards (might need to prime these first). Should I paint the shed with flat pain and the trim with semi-gloss or gloss all around. Thanks for the feedback, I haven't seen many sheds in person to compare so I'm not sure.

Old 07-17-14, 11:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
There are no rules, it's mostly personal preference. I like either flat on the body with satin or semi-gloss on the trim ..... or satin on the walls with a glossier paint on the trim BUT the paint job needs to please you and yours - not me! Some prefer the same sheen on the entire shed.

The redwood will need a good coat of exterior oil base primer! That will prevent the tannins in the wood from bleeding thru and discoloring the white finish.

Old 07-17-14, 11:45 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, flat with semigloss trim

I was concerned about the redwood but it makes sense to do what you said. Im still concerned about the texture, I wanted it to match the 1x4 trim but the texture is so different and rough. I couldn't find any 1x8 trim unfortunately, all they had that was smooth was some shinny pine and some "white wood" and not sure how well those paint or if any good for exterior.

Old 07-17-14, 11:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Most exterior trim boards come in either a planed/smooth surface or with a rough cut surface [some have each - on opposing sides] I have a pine fascia on my house and it has held up well but when I lived in fla it was difficult to get any pine trim to last long term. Redwood is one of the better long lasting species of wood!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: