Painting Stripes

Old 03-14-01, 12:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Trying to paint 3" wide stripes under a chair rail. Everything seems to be crooked in my house. Tried measuring from the floor up. No go. Absolutely cannot use that string method. Any way I can get straight lines 28" L, 3"W without marking off a horizontal grid?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-01, 01:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking You sure can!

I know they tell you to mark everything out but with walls not being plum (in any house) it doesn't seem to matter. So when I did my bedroom I did it by eye. I used painters tape in the width I wanted the stripes and placed one long strip in the middle of the wall as a starting place (no need to deal with corners yet). I then used a few pieces of the same tape as my measuring guide and placed them next to the strip I just placed (be sure your first one looks stright (notice I said looks). Now that you have placed theses spacers line up your next strip agaist the spacers. Keep it going till you come to a corner. Here you will have to fudge till it looks right. Don't try to make it perfect, it won't be, so why kill yourself. The main thing is to get it to look stright, not be stright. This way is much faster and less frustrating than the way most instructions tell you to do it. I have gotten many complements on my walls. Most people (even house painters) think it is wall paper. It took me several days to do the whole room but now that I have done it once I know that next time I will take half the time. Good luck and have patience.