Painting over wallpaper

Old 03-14-01, 04:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We live in an older farmhouse. The wallpaper is sound for the most part with just a few loose places. What are the pros and cons of painting over wallpaper and is it advisable? Any special kind of paint?

Old 03-14-01, 10:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Most painters will tell you its best to remove the paper and then paint. I tend to agree. It is however possible to paint over the wall paper. Be sure to paste down all loose paper. Nothing should be loose. If it is you will get bubbling. As for the type of paint I believe oil is the best to use. If I am wrong I am sure Chipfo will correct me.

Old 03-15-01, 05:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Gini, you are right I would recomend removal of the paper for best results, but if it is too difficult to remove then painting over is an option but it is the primer I would suggest to be oil based, to seal the wallpaper so the latex wall paint doesn't soak through and loosen the wallpaper paste. When it comes to interior walls I like to stick to QUALITY latexs', for a few reasons, less odor and fumes, easily applied, easy to recoat, not to mention that most walls are latex and most will be recoated with latex without checking the existing finish and you know what happens often when latex is applied directly over oil based paint, peeling and cracking.

And as Gini suggests, make sure all the paper in glued down and cleaned prior to appliing primer.

[Edited by Chipfo on 03-16-01 at 08:12]

Old 03-15-01, 09:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy I'm confused????

Chipfo, are you saying that in some cases oil and latex can be combined? I always thought that if you used oil you could never use latex over it and vise-a-virsa. Please explain!

Old 03-15-01, 10:52 AM
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem. I have wallpaper on old plaster walls. I'm afraid to pull it off 'cause all the plaster may come down with it. Are you saying put an OIL based primer on it, and then LATEX paint on top?
Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

Old 03-16-01, 05:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes exactly, you can paint over your general oil based PRIMERS with either oil or latex paint, they are made for either to be a topcoat (Kilz,BIN,A-100,etc,etc). Now, there are specialty primers which require a certain topcoat (epoxy, marine,urethanes,zolatone,etc), but you should not be worried with them for general house painting.

It is oil based PAINT you do not want to paint latex directly onto as a general rule, you need to prime any oil based paint with an oil based primer, then you can topcoat with latex.

And as always, if you are not familiar with a product, read the label to make sure and decide if thats what you need or maybe something else, but your basic oil based primers can be topped with latex.

Also, you can paint oil based paint directly on latex paint or latex primer. Just don't use latex paint as the primer. (I say this because I have heard paint stores recomend latex paint as a primer, no-no, ask that salesclerk how long he worked as a pro painter)

I hope this clears it up It can be a bit confusing, that is why so many DIYers have problems.

Old 03-16-01, 05:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Oops, correction in my first post here, the last word in this sentance:

"it is the primer I would suggest to be oil based, to seal the wallpaper so the latex wall paint doesn't soak through and loosen the paint"

should have been "so the latex wall paint doesn't soak through and loosen the PASTE" , meaning wallpaper paste.

I am going to correct it.

Old 03-16-01, 06:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks Chipfo, I painted our house and other odd things since I was 9 or 10 but never knew about how oil primers were different than oil paint.

Old 03-20-01, 06:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile Many thanks!

Many thanks to all who replied. "Ain't" this internet wunnerful? May Algore keep on inventin'!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: