Touch-up Paint Too Dark

Old 08-12-14, 04:59 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Touch-up Paint Too Dark

I just filled some holes and painted over the spackle. My walls were painted 10 years ago and still look great except for these repairs and one or two other spots. I bought the same color of Sherwin Williams paint, and it's just a little too dark. These holes are in a stairwell, and the walls are 2 stores high. I do not want to paint the entire wall! Ugh!! Is there anything I can do?? Can I have the paint lightened just a bit?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-14, 05:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You definitely can have it lightened. Even if you had bought two separate gallons of paint the same day, let alone, 10 years apart, you can have those same variances. But it's going to be pretty difficult to match it exactly, sad to say. And I feel you on those high walls, my Aunt had my brother and I doing some crazy paint technique on her insane foyer.

Old 08-12-14, 05:32 PM
Received 175 Votes on 159 Posts
If you can provide a 1 sq inch of paint sample the local hardware can color match and mix up a quart of paint. Most mixed paints will give warning that they will fade in direct sunlight or after extended periods of time.

Lightening or darkening already mixed paint is not so easy. Adding white or black does not necessarily lighten or darken a mixed paint. That's why the color match computer is used against a sample. When I mix paint for a customer, I'm amazed at the formula to achieve different colors. Not what seems intuitive. For many colors I start with a gallon of white (and not a base), then I may need to add several ounces or parts of an ounce to the already white paint.

Last edited by Norm201; 08-12-14 at 05:39 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-13-14, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
Short of having a painter experienced at color matching on site - I wouldn't expect to be able to get a good touch up on a 10 yr old paint job! Paint color is only part of the equation, sheen, coverage and how that section of wall reflects light all play a part in how successful a paint touch up will be.

Over the last 20 yrs or so, paint stores have gotten a lot better at making colors consistent. The computer tint machines are recalibrated on a regular basis but paint formulas [not tint] change over the years both to meet new gov't regs and improvements in the coating.