Repairing a paint job over walpaper paste

Old 03-16-01, 01:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My roomate, while I was on vacation, decided to paint his bathroom. He took the wallpaper down and then painted right on top of the dried wallpaper paste. Now that he is gone, how do I get clean fresh walls again? Or can I?

Old 03-17-01, 04:47 AM
Visiting Guest
I am afraid now that it has been painted that you may have to put a skim coat of drywall compound, I wouls suggest seaking a pro to do this and you can reprime and paint.

Site-unseen I don't know if this will work, but as long as you do not damage the wall it wont hurt to try. Get some 60 grit sandpaper and some 150 grit, use the 60 and run over the wall to expose the paste (not the sheetrock) then take a bucket of water and a sponge and wash all the paste you can out, let it dry and sand again with the 150 grit, again do not get into the sheetrock. If this doesn't get them smooth enough you may consider hiring someone to come in and skim them smooth, it shouldn't cost that much, especially if you do the priming and painting.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-01, 07:08 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
If you hire someone to do the skimming you may want to prime the walls with an oil primer yourself before they show up. This would be a great help to the contractor to keep the mud from breaking down the glue while they are working...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: