Need help finding a mildly washable ceiling paint

Old 09-04-14, 11:18 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help finding a mildly washable ceiling paint

Hello all,

I painted my son's bedroom ceiling with Sherwin Williams Eminence white ceiling paint. It looked good until I tried to install a light fixture which scratched the ceiling. I took a paper towel put some water on it and wiped the marks off but now I see the paint wore off so its a different sheen where I wiped vs the rest of the ceiling. Even a spot on the ceiling where I bumped my head seems to look like a different sheen now than the rest of the ceiling. The paint cured for over a month. I gave 3 coats of Eminence. I used 3/8" nap for the first coat then changed to 1/2" nap for the second two coats. I asked Sherwin Williams and they told me that the ceiling paint is not washable. I was surprised because you can't even gently wipe it down. I would expect someone might want to wipe down a ceiling of dust or clean it if a bug goes up there and you splatter it.

I have a half gallon of Eminence left so now I'm going to give the ceiling another coat and hope it never gets scratched again. I will return my unopened gallons of this stuff but my question is this: For the other rooms what is a good FLAT paint that is white and works well for a ceiling? I do not have a Benjamin Moore close to me. Its either Sherwin Williams or Home Depot. The only options I see are the following:

*Sherwin Williams SuperPaint flat white wall paint (I've read it has a slight sheen to it though)
*Behr Premium Plus Ultra Ceiling Paint (Behr's higher quality ceiling paint which averages 4.3 out of 5 stars 144 reviews)
*Behr Premium Plus Ceiling Paint (Behr's cheaper ceiling paint which is priced similar to Eminence 3.3 out of 5 stars 161 reviews)

Has anyone ever tried the Behr Premium Plus Ultra ceiling paint? Is it somewhat washable? or should I just go with SuperPaint? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-14, 11:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
From what I've seen, I would go SWP over Behr every day of the week - while there are many people who have used Behr and are happy with it, more horror stories reported here seem to involve that brand than any other.

That said, by it's very nature flat paint is not generally washable but I've never seen the need to wash the ceilings in my house so it hasn't been a problem.

Old 09-04-14, 12:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Ceiling paints are generally the cheapest coatings out there, mainly because no one ever washes the ceilings and it see no real wear. I usually use a mid grade wall paint on the ceiling because it normally covers and touches up better. I'd probably use SWP's ProMar 200 on the ceiling although the SuperPaint flat would also do a good job.

Old 09-05-14, 06:58 AM
I
I'm not a contractor so I would have to pay full price on ProMar 200. I'm not sure what that full price is. Do you use ProMar 200 because you can get it cheaper than SuperPaint and it is good enough for the job? Do you consider SuperPaint to be about the same as ProMar 200 or better/worse? Thanks.

Old 09-05-14, 08:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
SuperPaint is better than ProMar 200! The 3 contractor grades of paint are ProMar 200, 400 and 700. I will not use the ProMar 700 [too cheap] I'll occasionally use the 400 on ceilings or an intermediate coat but it's not a great paint. The 200 is a good low price paint. It's been my standard coating for new construction, I'd charge extra if the customer wanted to upgrade to SuperPaint.

I'm retired so I doubt I'd get much of a discount today but contractors generally get discounts on every line of paint that a paint store sells. The price difference between a contractor's price and a walk in customer's price is about the same for all the different grades of paint. SWP often has coupons for $s off of select coatings and the store manager will often give a retail customer a discount if it's a large sale or he expect the customer to return and buy more paint.

Old 09-05-14, 10:12 AM
I
Thanks. I used Harmony Flat on a ceiling before and it has a little bit of shine to it. I'm actually planning to use the SuperPaint over a Harmony flat that I did last year and am hoping to be able to do it with 1 coat. The Harmony was painted on the ceiling last year but I had some roller marks that I couldn't fix so I'm thinking of doing another coat over it.

How flat would you consider SuperPaint to be? How would you compare SuperPaint to Harmony in terms of sheen (flat) and quality?

Old 09-05-14, 11:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Every gallon of paint should have a sheen rating on the side of the label, trouble is they don't always use the same angle of reflection in their rating so it can be difficult to compare. These specs should also be available online.

Some flat paints have more sheen than others [there is no industry standard] and the same can be said about various other sheens. IMO the minute sheen differences between brands/lines of flat paint should be ignored unless you are trying to match an existing paint - then more of the original paint should be used.

While I've applied Harmony I've not used much of it and never really paid much attention to slight differences in sheen. If I remember correctly, Harmony is SWP's no VOC line of paint. When it first came out SuperPaint was their best interior wall paint. Duration is now SWP's top of the line but that doesn't mean that they took any of the quality out of SuperPaint, just that Duration is a new/better formula.

Old 09-05-14, 11:58 AM
I
lol you must have been retired for a few years because I think Emerald is Sherwin Williams new top paint.

Old 09-05-14, 12:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
...... and they didn't even consult me .... it has been a few years

Old 09-05-14, 12:10 PM
I
Thanks for your help. I will give SuperPaint a try for the ceilings.