repainting a wrought iron staircase

Old 03-17-01, 01:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We have a black painted? wrought iron staircase that is in need of touch-ups. What kind of paint..stain..etc do you use???? and how do you apply it??? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-17-01, 08:30 PM
Visiting Guest
For wrought iron I would suggest a black oil based paint, since thats probably whats on it, preferably a mat, low luster or flat. What you need to do is clean it well with TSP or Dirtex, lightly sand with a 220 grit, get a spray can of metal primer and prime any bare spots and re-paint. Pen rollers and brushes is what I would use if I wasn't going to spray them, the pen rollers are small rollers about 1 inch in diameter (not to scale ) and about 4 inches long, they come in handy for this type of work. Be sure to get a pan for the pen roller to work out of, I will use a one gallon paint can with the side dented so to roll the roller on to remove excess paint. Also wash the new roller well to help remove loose fibers before using (and after!) And they are messy so cover the floor, or you could just brush them.

Hope this helps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: