Painting Aluminum siding

Old 03-20-01, 05:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to have my exterior aluminum siding painted. I am considering doing this myself. I don't think the siding has been painted and still has the original color which is chalking and dull. My plan is to powerwash the exterior and paint one side at a time using either a brush or small roller (or power roller). I am wondering if I need to use a primer of any kind. Any suggestions, tricks for preparation and painting. The siding is probably 4 or 5 inches wide. Thanks!

Old 03-20-01, 01:04 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
rw769, As for washing the siding unless there is moss built up on the north side or something of bulk on it I would wash with TSP using a brush and rinse with a garden hose. If you have a power washer by all means use it but don't buy or rent one. It just doesn't help much for general washing. The powder will remain if you only pressure wash and that will be the undoing of your paint job. Trust me, I learned the hard way. For primer use a 100% acrylic latex made to the color of the paint. Follow this with topcoat of your choice....Mike

Old 03-20-01, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry Paint Exterior Sidiing

Thanks for the reply Mike. You info is what I suspected, but just wanted another opinion. It now looks like this is a multi-weekend job. If I wash/scrubb, then I have to let dry before painting with primer. Then let that dry and paint with topcoat. It might make more sense to hire a pro, since I don't have that much spare time. It would cut into my time on the water in my boat!

Old 03-20-01, 03:49 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
rw769, Not to cut into your boating time(would I do that?) but after washing one day it will be ready to prime the next day. The latex primers will dry in 20-30 minutes and can recoat in 3-4 hours....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: