painting interior doors

Old 03-21-01, 08:05 AM
Visiting Guest
I have dark stained interior doors and woodwork. I'd like to paint them a light ivory. What type of paint should I use and do I need to prepare the surface?

Old 03-21-01, 08:07 PM
Visiting Guest
First you would need to make sure they are clean, I like TSP or Dirtex, allow to dry, putty and fill where needed(no caulk yet), lightly sand all woodwork with a 220 grit sandpaper, clean off dust and prime with an oil based primer such as Kilz or Zinsser's BIN and allow to dry, lightly sand again for smoothness, remove dust and caulk trim with a PAINTABLE latex caulk wiping smooth with a wet finger and clean up any access or mess with a damp rag, allow to dry thoroughly and paint two coats of quality trim paint. I prefer and recomend oil based gloss or semigloss for durability, you can however paint with a quality latex at this point but will not withstand the traffic as well as oil based.

For more painting tips click http://doityourself.com/paint/index.htm

Old 03-22-01, 07:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to use a high gloss oil based enamel to paint my doors and trim but two different stores have told me that I can't get it anymore due to EPA regulations. I've tried "high gloss" latex but it doesn't have the finish and I'm sure its not as durable.

Any ideas?

Old 03-23-01, 07:12 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
These days I use ESP on previously astain varnished woodwork.
Before that,the only primer that i have had long term sucsess with (No chipping) is aluminium primer.
I cant`t comment on the gloss that you use as im from Europe and paint standards here are just getting better and better!!(Oil based or waterbased gloss)

Old 03-23-01, 11:47 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
dkdowell@yahoo.com, Are you in the USA? What brand or brands of paint have you been told are not available? toptosher, What is ESP. Is it a brand? Waterborne? Oil? Come one folks, fill me in...LOL...Mike

Old 03-23-01, 12:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm located in the Houston, Texas area. I have been dealing with Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sears. The story was consistent from all of them that they no longer carry oil based paint due to Environmental Protection Agency regulations.

On advise from Chipfo I called the local Sherwin-Williams store. They do sell oil based enamel paint although they recommend a high gloss latex instead.

If I thought the latex paint would hold up under bathroom conditions and provide a high gloss finish, I would prefer it over oil based for the obvious reasons of easy clean up and easier application.

Thanks,
dkdowell

Old 03-23-01, 12:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have posted a topic somewhere in this forum about ESP mike. I promise I won`t mention it again at the risk of being irritating :lol:
Theres not much point me reccomending a product that is not supplied in the U.S (Slaps own wrist)

dkdowell@yahoo.com....If you are set on using water based paints make sure you do the prep as chipfo has suggested other wise the paint will chip as sure as eggs are eggs!!

Old 03-26-01, 07:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I would like to you all for your input. I had some amount of success this weekend using a high gloss latex with a brush.

The full story was that I had a contractor doing the remodeling on my bathroom. We decided to paint the cabinet doors and trim in high gloss white. The contractor was using a roller to paint these things and the finish was less smooth than desired. He was angry that I had gone to the "stinking internet" to get advise and derided me for it. We told him to finish his other work and we would do the painting.

Thanks again everyone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: