Can I paint onto plasterboard?

Old 12-22-14, 10:41 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I paint onto plasterboard?

Hi, I am a complete novice when it comes to DIY, i've just had my kitchen renovated and now my dining room has new plasterboarding put up and sealed in order to strengthen old boards and cover woodchip paper that refused to strip.

Name:  095.jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  25.9 KB

I've added a picture of what it looks like just now. Is this paintable? and if so, how?

Thank you very much

Old 12-22-14, 12:26 PM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
Yes, of course. You say it was already sealed? Like with a primer ? If so then just choose your color and paint. If it hasn't been sealed then you may want to use a primer first or a sealer such as Zinsser .

Old 12-22-14, 12:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What you have is called Sheetrock in the U.S. and that is what is on walls of 99% of the houses built in the last 50+ years. Just curious has the UK not switched from mostly plaster to Sheetrock (AKA Gypsum board- plaster board)?

Old 12-22-14, 01:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Prime it first and then paint.

Old 12-22-14, 02:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Definitely use a dedicated latex primer and then 1-2 coats of latex finish paint. I wouldn't trust a primer in the paint coating over bare drywall.

Old 12-22-14, 03:09 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I really don't know, I've just always known it to be plasterboard. It certainly feels very sturdy in comparison to the other walls in the house. It certainly looks like what i've always known plasterboard to look like. But maybe it is Gypsum.

It hasn't been sealed by a primer of any kind no, I just meant its been taped/gauzed over the cracks between the boards and all the screws have been covered.
I know I need to sand it down a bit and then brush off the dust before I do anything.
My concern really was what the finish of the paint would be like?
I've read that skimmed plaster would require a mist coat as it sucks in water and this will need sealed and primed. Not sure exactly what that means. I've also read that it won't look quite as good as it would painting onto a skimmed wall?

I've looked around and found some products like, Polycell 3 in 1 which is apparently to prepare a wall for painting?

Polycell 3 In 1 White Matt Basecoat 7L | Rooms | DIY at B&Q

Or could I just undercoat it a few times and then paint straight on?

Old 12-22-14, 03:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This is a North American forums members may not be familiar with paint supply brands in the UK.

Gypsum board is plaster board is Sheetrock. It is just so ubiquitous I just wondered why you wondered if it was printable. I thought perhaps we were misunderstanding your question.

Old 12-22-14, 03:25 PM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
Yes, use the Polycell 3 in 1. I read the description. Sounds like the proper stuff to use.

Old 12-22-14, 03:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If it needs sanding, do that first. Additionally, keep in mind that paint makes imperfections on surfaces stand out more, not less, so the walls will need to be darn near perfect before you paint. As Mark said, use a separate latex primer prior to painting as opposed to one of those all-in-one primer/paint combination products.

Old 12-22-14, 03:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
As Ray said, it looks like our commonly used drywall, sheetrock is a brand name of drywall although many call all drywall sheetrock.

The level of finishing determines how nice the finished wall will look. A skim coat produces the nicest finish but many fine homes get decent jobs without a skim coat. I think the product you linked to is similar to USG's FirstCoat which is a high build primer designed to fill minor imperfections. While it can be brushed or rolled - it works best if it's sprayed although not all airless spray units are stout enough to spray it.

I'd suggest shining a bright light on the wall while looking for defect to fix. Then apply primer and again pay attention to how the drywall finish looks while the primer is wet [wet primer or paint accentuates the defects] and repair them when the primer dries [don't forget to reprime as needed] then apply 1-2 coats of your choice of latex wall paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: