Paint bubbling/dirt on ceiling

Old 12-25-14, 01:25 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint bubbling/dirt on ceiling

Hello,

I spackled, primed and painted the ceiling last year. There were some roller marks so I want to give it a fresh coat. I spackled a couple of imperfections and fixed a few nail pops using green top joint compound I had stored in my basement. I had water on the top of the joint compound as recommended by the "Sheetrock" manufacturer so it wouldn't get moldy.

Anyway when I spot primed there were bubbles appearing. I used a 4" roller after brushing the paint on to remove the roller marks and little bristles were appearing in the joint compound. I sanded the spots down and when I use a damp sponge to clean them up more junk appears, like the paint loosens and the junk gets released. At first I thought the primer/paint might be bad (Sherwin Williams) but I tested the paint in another room and it didn't have the same problem. It looks like the water in the paint or from the damp sponge is loosening the junk from the ceiling. I tried lightly sanding the whole ceiling and then wiping it down with a damp sponge but I still have issues. Any thoughts on what is going on? Bad spackle? Bad technique? I tried straining the paint... etc. The ceiling is smooth and ready for paint but I need to overcome this issue first so there aren't little bubbles and fibers in the ceiling.

Stuff I used:
Sherwin William Paint
Sheetrock greentop joint compound
The "Best" 4" roller from Home Depot

Purdy 1/2" 12" rollerAttachment 43812

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-14, 02:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
SWP makes a lot of coatings, which one did you use?

Did you mix the j/c well before you applied it? How long did you let it dry before applying the primer?

Old 12-25-14, 02:46 PM
I
Red face

Harmony Primer and SuperPaint flat

I waited until it turned from the grey/wet color to when it turns white all the way through. I sanded it down with no issue. I do not recall exactly how long it took to dry.

Yes I mixed the JC pretty well with my spackle knife. I've tried sponging different parts of the ceiling with a damp sponge and for the most part the bubbles are not appearing now but the water does seem to "dislodge" little roller fibers or other particles from the paint (even the paint that is one year old). I used Harmony flat paint on the ceiling last year. Come to think of it I've had nothing but trouble in all three ceilings that I've used Harmony flat. I recall seeing these little pieces of crud from the Harmony when I painted the bathroom ceiling and then the living room ceiling. I was told by the Sherwin Williams guy that they stopped making the plastic cans because plastic would breakdown and mix the crud into the Harmony paint.

I have this bad feeling you're going to tell me to hit the whole ceiling with Zinsser Gardz.

Old 12-25-14, 02:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've used a good bit of the SuperPaint line, I've only used Harmony a few times although I don't remember any issues. I know I've applied the Harmony finish paint but don't think I've used the primer.

I was told by the Sherwin Williams guy that they stopped making the plastic cans because plastic would breakdown and mix the crud into the Harmony paint.
I've never heard that and I'm very skeptical of that statement. I've applied 1,000s of gallons of paint out of plastic 5 gal buckets with no issues. I'd be inclined to think it's more a roller shedding issue. Also there are times when texture has been painted but never primed that the fresh wet paint will partially dissolve the texture.

Hard to say if you need to go to the extreme of sealing the entire ceiling although priming the spots in question wouldn't be a bad idea. When you spot prime the top coat will often dry slower over the primer but should look fine by the next day.

Old 12-25-14, 03:04 PM
I
He was alleging that the Harmony plastic buckets were recycled/eco friendly and they were breaking down. I have not had any issues with Harmony Primer, its my default primer... but I've had bad results with Harmony flat and semigloss. Thats why I switched to Superpaint for my ceilings and ProClassic for my trim. Since I just tested the primed spots and they didn't bubble anymore I think I will hit the whole ceiling with the SuperPaint and see what the situation is. Thanks!

Old 12-26-14, 08:34 AM
I
I painted the ceiling and it looks good. I think sponging down the primed areas bubbled up the bad spots and then when I sanded it smooth the issue went away. I just painted and kept painting and didn't look back until it was dry and everything dried out fine.

I used almost a full gallon of superpaint on my 250 square foot ceiling using a 1/2" Purdy roller (is that too much paint?). I like the 3/8" stipple a lot better than 1/2" but I didn't want roller marks. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-26-14, 09:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Most paints cover 400 sq ft per gallon BUT that is over a smooth sealed substrate. Rough or porous substrates will take more paint. IMO it's better to use too much paint than not enough.