Repaint steel chairs

Old 02-26-15, 05:28 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repaint steel chairs

I have 4 steel dining room chairs that I would like refinshed in a different color. I already did one and it looked nice for a minute but fingerprints stick and even resist cleaning. I originally painted with Rust-oleum and finished with a high gloss. I've considered electrostatic coating but hit only dead ends and expense.

Old 02-26-15, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Do you mean you used Rustoleum primer and then something else for the topcoat or Rustoleum topcoat also? Spray paint?

I don't really like Rustoleum that much, except for some of their primers and hammered finishes. It seems to take days to fully cure and stays soft till the end. Even then it seems like you can scape it off with a fingernail.

Personally, I use Krylon for most things, it seems to dry faster and harder. I've even used the cheapo Painters Touch (WalMart I think?) with good results.

Old 02-26-15, 07:33 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Painter's Touch is a Rustolium product.

Old 02-26-15, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thanks Norm, didn't know that. Guess that's their budget line. Probably low on pigment solids, but always worked fine for my needs. Sure dried faster than any Rustoleum labeled stuff I ever used.

Old 02-27-15, 03:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
How long did you let the paint dry/cure?

I rarely use rattle cans because the paint has to be drastically thinned in order for it to spray out of the can. Ideally you'd buy a quart of good oil base enamel and use a spray gun. It's also possible to thin the paint a little and apply it with a brush although spraying will always look best.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: