Is Ace Royal paint still ok to use?

Old 02-24-15, 06:21 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is Ace Royal paint still ok to use?

Hi,

I am looking for mid-priced paints to repaint the interior of my house. It was painted with BM and Behr and now needs a new coat of paint because of wear and tear. The house was previously rented out.

I read some old thread and some say that Ace brands are ok to good. Then I read that in 2013 Ace sold their paint manufacturing plant.

So, the question is for people who have used Ace paints in 2014 or later or who works at Ace, is Ace Royal still an ok or good paint to use?

Should I just use Behr from HD?

Thank you for your time and help.

Old 02-25-15, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It's probably been 15-20 yrs since I've used any Ace brand paint but I'd be more inclined to use it than Behr. SWP often has sales that makes their retail prices more reasonable [BM might also] Generally if I need a budget interior coating I'll use SWP's ProMar 200 line.

Hopefully you'll get a reply from someone with more current Ace experience.

Old 02-25-15, 10:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Apparently Ace paints are now manufactured by Valspar - Valspar : News

Way back when Valspar was a good brand of exterior oil base paint, I don't know much about their latex coatings other than they are sold at Lowes. Often the paints sold at the big box stores are stocked because of low price rather than quality

Old 02-25-15, 10:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'll use just about anything over Behr. Have not used ACE paint in about 10 years but liked it back then. I used to use Benjamin Moore till I moved and the SWP store was more convenient.

Old 05-01-15, 11:43 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi, So I have decided to buy ACE Royal brand. It was good and I would use it again. It costs about $27/gal. It was thinner than Behr and SW Super Paint. It would only splatter if you press on the roller too hard. This is one of the few that is paint only and not paint-and-primer in one. Since I was painting a similar color over the old paint, I only used one coat. Since the paint is thinner you may need two coats or one primer and one coat if the old paint is darker.

I also bought one gallon of SW Super Paint. It was good to use but the fumes is stronger than ACE Royal.

I also bought one gallon of HGTV paint from SW but did not use it so can't tell you all anything here yet. I may not use it at all.

Thanks a lot for your help and God Bless you all.

Old 05-02-15, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
thanks for the feedback

Viscosity and coverage are some of the big differences between quality coatings and their cheaper counterpart. I've never used any HGTV paint but often paints that have a special name lack quality I've always found roller spray to be less when using a lambswool cover versus a synthetic roller cover. I've never noticed much odor difference in latex paints .... probably as a result of years of painting everyday.

IMO the classification of paint being primer/paint all in one is nothing but a marketing ploy as interior repaints rarely need a primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: