help! second coat of solid acrylic deck stain 14 hours before rain?

Old 03-24-15, 02:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help! second coat of solid acrylic deck stain 14 hours before rain?

My painter put a first coat of solid acrylic deck stain on yesterday Monday afternoon. He was supposed to put the second coat today Tuesday afternoon but couldn't come. He is telling me that he can come tomorrow Wednesday morning and be done around noon. The problem is that we are expecting some rain Thursday very early morning, about 2am -- that is, no more than 14 hours after the second coat. Plus, the temperature these days are a bit below 50 degrees around here.

Should we do this tomorrow morning, or should we postpone until the weekend, two days after it rained? The painter says that "the stain will be dry in less than an hour", but I am also concerned about curing, not simply drying.

I called the company, and they said I should probably wait for at least 24 hours before rain, particularly given that it is below 50. I wonder whether they are being too conservative. I would prefer not to postpone, but will do what is best.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-15, 02:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The low temps make it iffy, it will probably be ok. Do you trust him to come back and make it right if there are any issues? Remember it's your house and you are the one with the checkbook

Old 03-24-15, 03:11 PM
M
Thanks. The temps are between 35 to 45. I trust him to come back. But the representative told me that, if the second coat is compromised by the rain, simply slapping a third coat won't solve the issue. Is my feeling accurate that representatives are overly conservative?

If not done tomorrow, the next available day would be monday -- a week after the first coat -- to allow the deck to dry (and skip low-30 temps during the weekend. The rep told me that there is no "limit" and that waiting for several days for the second coat should be fine. Is this so?

The brand is Cabot, fwiw.

Old 03-24-15, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
the representative told me that, if the second coat is compromised by the rain, simply slapping a third coat won't solve the issue.
I'm not a painter but I would agree with that statement. Once the finish is marred a new coat couldn't fix it. I'm going to guess and say that a possible sanding may be required.

Old 03-24-15, 04:42 PM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
#1 in your area I never would have even attemped to stain a deck this time of year.
He must have needed the work.
Never even heard of anyone apply a second coat of stain, how was it applyed?

Old 03-24-15, 05:42 PM
M
Thanks for your replies. A quick question (don't ask me why I am asking): is it possible for a three-man crew to apply solid acrylic stain on the top and bottom and railings of a 12x16 feet deck, *two coats*, with drying time in between (at no warmer than 45 degrees)' *in 2 hours and 20 minutes total*, and be walking on what's supposed to be the second coat at the end of that period??

That is, would you believe if someone told you that the three guys arrived at 2pm, set up tarps and drop cloths, painted first coat of the whole deck, waited until it was dry (remember, it's 45 degrees), then applied a second coat to at least the deck floor, waited until it was dry, and one of the guys was walking on top of the deck when the homeowner arrived at 4:20pm (with the men still applying final touches underneath the deck?

(BTW, the manufacturer recommends to wait 4 to 6 hours between coats).

Old 03-25-15, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Cool temps slow down the drying/curing process. While some of the newer coatings can be applied down to 35 those coatings have a longer curing process and must have above freezing temps for a longer period after being applied. How dry the coating is along with how hard [or much] the rain fell will affect what damage might be done to the uncured coating. Sometimes another coat is all that is needed but other times sanding may be needed to make it right.

It's hard to say how long it takes to stain any particular deck, sight unseen with the skill level of the painters unknown. Generally if the coating dries quick enough to recoat and dry again in that time frame - the coating is drying too fast to create a good bond! .... and I seriously doubt it could dry that quick in cool weather. While you can hedge some on the manufacture's time period between coats, 1 hr or so between coats is not enough and certainly doesn't constitute 2 coats. I often spray, back roll and spray again on decks and fences but I have never considered that more than one coat [more like one heavy coat] The heavier the coat, the easier the coating is marred if walked on too soon.

Which cabot stain was used?

Old 03-25-15, 05:09 AM
M
Thanks. It was solid acrylic deck stain 1800 series. The painter claims that he already applied two deck stain coats (he says that, when we talked yesterday, he was talking about a second coat to an attached metal stairs, which I misunderstood as a second coat to the wood deck, hence my original post). I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I am a bit troubled by the timeframe he mentioned. He suggested that he could apply a "third" coat of the stain at no extra cost to make me happy, and I agreed with that idea -- particularly now that I know that two coats so close together constitute one heavy coat.

Old 03-25-15, 05:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd bet that the 3rd coat is really the 2nd coat. Most painters don't apply an additional coat for free. Most of my jobs have been either coverage [as many/few coats as it takes] or a set number of coats. The only times I've ever applied a 3rd coat on a 2 coat job was to correct something not done right or at the customer's request [along with an additional charge]

From cabot's web site
Do not apply in direct sunlight, to hot surfaces or
when air or surface temperature is
below 50 F
(10 C) or may fall below 50 F (10 C) for 48
hours after application

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: