repainting debate

Old 03-28-01, 08:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We will be painting the living room and dining room a light sunny yellow with white as the ceiling and trim color. We currently have beige walls with white ceiling and trim. The ceiling is flat latex and the walls are beige semi gloss latex. My husband thinks that an egshell color for primer over the beige then the sunny yellow will give us basically the same color as the paint chip. I'm afraid we will get some sort of mustard shade. What should we use as a primer or base coat to keep the yellow as close to the chip as possible?

Old 03-29-01, 04:08 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Vagang@Netzero.net, Hate to get in the middle of a good debate but don't think I'll be siding with either one of you. If you are using quality paint the color of the primer will have no effect on the final outcome that is if you paint until the walls are covered. In that you are using a bright/light yellow and if inclined to prime, and I think I would, use flat 100% acrylic primer like KILZ Total One, KILZ 2 or Zinsser 123 mixed as close to the final color as the store will make it. You should be looking at no more than two finish coats. Some will tell you that these primers can't be made to color but most will take 75% of the final formula if not more and be very close. Do any patching and sanding before the primer coat and you will be on your way to a great job...Good Luck...Mike

Old 03-30-01, 06:48 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Mike's right, tint the primer toward the finish color. It needs to be understood that paint is not primer, and doesn't perform the same function, therefore the eggshell is out.

good luck,
sonnie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: