mildew resistant paint

Old 03-29-01, 10:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Help!! I want to repaint the bathroom and I've heard about mildew resistant paint. I've been told this is the best for bathroom use. Can you tell me who makes it and what makes it so great?

Old 03-30-01, 06:44 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
You can buy an additive (fungicide) that you mix with your paint. Purchase at any quality paint store in your area. It won't last forever as the fungicide will eventually break down, but it's the best we've got without lead paint or paris green. Opt for a finish designed to be washed easily. Install a vent fan in the bathroom and you probably will end the issue with mildew. Not expensive. Not difficult.

My best,
Sonnie

Old 03-31-01, 10:59 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile mildew resistant paint

Hi there
Benjamin Moore and Klitz make some very good Bathroom paints. Thats is what you would look for. H.D. has them and some other good ones. You can also put a small amount of bleach in the paint and it will work for a while. But as stated make sure you add a fan to the room as the moisture will eventually deterioate the paint. Clean the surface good with a mildew killer and prime before painting or else the mildew will come right through the paint.

Old 04-01-01, 01:01 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
I've never know Benjamin Moore paints to be available in a Home Depot or Lowes anywhere. I think their standards are higher. Bob, you were right to recommend a mildew killer (fungicide) applied to the area before painting. The most often recommended is bleach, which was mentioned. However, in order for it to be an effective disinfectant, it must be mixed 10% by volume with water and left in WET contact with the substrate for 10 minutes minimum. This is not applicable in painting, nor would I advise adding bleach to paint. Aside from changing the formulated pH balance of the product it would affect the pigment as well.
I advise killing the mildew with a safer product such as Consan Triple 20, or another quaternary ammonium compound (often sold as algaecides for swimming pools). They're safer for the user in all respects, less volatile, offer a more buffered pH effect and are effective in the same "wet contact period" against a larger number of microbes.
Put the ceiling exhaust fan in. You'll sleep well.

my best

Sonnie
http://www.sonnielayne.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: