Prepping a work surface?

Old 03-29-01, 11:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hey all.

I have just gutted and redone a bedroom, and I love the way the 2 layers of paint look on the new drywall. I would like to simply paint other walls in my house, and I know that they have been painted many, MANY times before. My question is this: Is there any way to remove some of the previous layers of paint from a drywall or sheetrock surface safely, without damaging the wall itself. Thanks in advance.

I have learned, rather quickly, that the previous owner of my house felt that a layer of paint was the best way to repair things that were broken, dirty, or sometimes for no reason at all!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-01, 07:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Removing layers of paint from walls would either take an extreme amount of sanding (wall paint does not sand well) or stripping them chemically, I would suggest neither. Most of the walls I repaint, I remove any loose paint, clean the walls good and repaint. If the walls are in such bad condition that simply repainting is not the answer (aside from minor repairs) I would suggest a drywall finisher come in and make the nesasary repairs and you prime and paint, unless of course you are familiar with the finishing tools and proper procedure of course.